Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hitman's RAID Guide
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:02 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Not sure on DM's setup as my issue hasn't arrived (probably my recent move to blame), but have you looked into skipping all that and diving into drive caching with a z68 chipped board? You can use a 240G SSD (or whatever) and store everything else on spindles. It's slow at first, but it learns what you commonly do and gives those SSD speed even if it's on the spindle.

I just bring this up, not only because it's useful...but because 6TB's of SSD's takes a house mortgage to purchase. A 1TB OCZ Colossus LT is $2,864 at the time of this post, so 6TB would be just over $17,000 dollars...and it's still S/ata II. This can get really deep to make it work, but at some point we gotta get to the reality. $17K in drives for just 6TB would make Google even shudder, let alone anyone else. We haven't even gotten into actually RAID'ing them yet either, and this would need more than a software controller card...that could be another $2K in the least.

A dream machine is just that, so we gotta be careful about dreaming and reality. RAID the two Vertex's (vertices?) and see how much you notice the difference before going forward. This could get interesting though...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Chumly: he was talking about the secondary storage for this years DM.

To the OP: you're better off posting this in the magazine feedback section, or writing an e-mail to the editors.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

/me gets a face plant emoticon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i just got a new laptop ( asus g750jh) , in the spec it said it came with a 1TB HHD and 256 G SSD.
come to find out that they partitioned a single 256 SSD into two 128G configured in raid 0 .

is there really any benefit to this type of setup or would it be better to remove the partition and have a full 256 for the os?
:?
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
well, that is an interesting way to use a ssd. you lose nothing running in raid 0 all the capacity of the drive is still available and it is considered a single drive. but it is twice as fast in a raid 0 as it would be as a single 256 drive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:58 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I don't believe the drive would be twice as fast. It still has a single controller to go through and ultimately spits out in one SATA channel. And if it is a reputable SSD, it's probably close to maxing out the SATA port anyway on its own.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i guess what is causing me confusion is that in "my computer" i have 4 drives listed .

c:@95.3gig
d:@465gig
e:@465gig
f:@121gig

c and f are my ssd . i dont like running a hd at the full side of its capacity and it says that the c drive is over half full .