Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Temps don't seem right
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

My CPU is clocked in at a very stable 3.5Ghz with a hyper 212+ cooling it. Oddly my temps are showing up as 22 celsius while idle and not even breaking at sweat at 45-47 celsius while under a full load using Prime95. I have tried going further because obviously if the temps are correct then it can handle more. Problem is, it doesn't want to give me anymore. I've tried everything to get a stable 3.5+Ghz clock but it always blue screens or is just not stable.

Post subject: Re: Temps don't seem right
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I would confirm those temps with another utility just to be sure. If your motherboard didn't come with a monitoring utility you can try something like CoreTemp.

If you are overclocking the bus, keep in mind that you are also overclocking your RAM and HyperTransport, either of which could be the cause of your stability issues when pushed too far out of spec. Try changing the divisor/ratio on both to lower those speeds a little and see if you can push further with the CPU. Keep in mind though that 140W = lots of heat to dissipate, even with a Hyper212, so I wouldn't push any further until you can verify your temps.

EDIT: After a bit of research, it would seem that temps in HWMonitor and CoreTemp with this particular chip can be off by an average of about 10-15 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:59 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Installed and ran Core Temp. Temps still show the same as in HW Monitor. The Gigabyte Easy Tune 6 software shows the CPU running at 31 celsius at idle. I have tried all combinations of configurations and it still can't get over 3.5Ghz stably.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Are you overclocking through the BIOS (or UEFI) or by a Gigabyte tool from within Windows? BIOS is preferable, and if that's the case, make sure you don't have any of the Gigabyte OC software installed.

When you try to push past 3.5Ghz what speed is your RAM vs. what it's rated for? What speed is HyperTransport? Also check your RAM voltage. If the BIOS defaults to 1.5V and you're running 1.65V RAM, it'll need that extra juice for stability at higher speeds.

You could add a little voltage to the CPU temporarily to see if that's the problem.

What are the rest of your system specs and are you using a quality power supply?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:35 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I'm overclocking through the BIOS. So you mean I shouldn't have EasyTune 6 installed for monitoring temps? I always figured that would be the most accurate of any monitoring tool. Right now I have it set up so my RAM is at 1667 (rated for 1600) at 3.5GHz. The voltage had to be upped to it's required 1.65. My HT link speed is 2.2Ghz. Funny thing about adding voltage to the CPU at this point is, this is when I start to run into problems. I can increase the speed and not voltage but it gets very "laggy". If I increase the voltage it will often blue screen during task intensive operations. I'm not really concerned about getting things to run faster at this point. I mean I'm pretty happy with a 700Mhz OC. I'm just a bit puzzled about my temps. I figured they would be much higher at this OC level even with my Hyper 212+.

I'm also using-
RAM: Corsair Dominator (4x2gig)
Mobo: Gigabyte 890FX-UD5
GPU: Gigabyte 560Ti Super Overclocked edition. (1Ghz)
PSU: Corsair HX 850

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:29 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

"My CPU is clocked in at a very stable 3.5Ghz with a hyper 212+ cooling it. Oddly my temps are showing up as 22 celsius while idle and not even breaking at sweat at 45-47 celsius while under a full load using Prime95. I have tried going further because obviously if the temps are correct then it can handle more. Problem is, it doesn't want to give me anymore. I've tried everything to get a stable 3.5+Ghz clock but it always blue screens or is just not stable."

I did some reading on these a bit ago. One owner suggested that there was one core on the six core setup that was holding the other 5 back.

<delete>
*edit* IDK if the six core will overclock very well.

btw, has Anyone hit above 4.o0 on six core Amd?

*edit* I'm trying to find the article to post for you Cat.

1055 is locked multiplier. Still very nice processor though!

So you ended up with about 700Mhz*6 cores overclock?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:05 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

That's correct, 700mhz OC from my 6 core CPU. I'm not complaining, just questioning why I can't get it any higher when my temps obviously show it can go much higher. Either that or my temps aren't right to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

"During the experiments on our six-core processor we managed to get it to run stably at the default voltage at 3.7 GHz frequency. The junior CPU from the six-core family also performed well and remained stable at the same frequency.

The base clock was increased to 265 MHz to achieve this result. We didn’t change any voltages and their automatic adjustment was disabled in the mainboard BIOS. Turbo Core technology was disabled, as we recommend, and the multipliers for HyperTransport bus and North Bridge built into the processor were lowered to 8x, which made the frequencies of corresponding system units just a little over 2.0 GHz."
(Above quote taken from the link below.)
Maybe this will help you out? If you haven't read it already. (It looks like your HT is too high. IDK though.)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-overclocking.html

*Note on the bottom of page 4 on the link.....
"The thermal diode in the first batch of Phenom II X6 processors appeared to be improperly calibrated. As a result, processors were reporting obviously lower temperatures."

And on page 2.
"I have to say that AMD is formally shipping two Phenom II X6 1055T modifications at this time: one with 125 W TDP and another one with 95 W TDP. In fact, you can currently purchase only the former, less energy-efficient one. This was the one we got, as you can see from the CPU marking that states: “HDT55TFBK6DGR” (for your information: 95 W processor should be marked as HDT55TWFK6DGR)."

*oh, I almost forgot. You are running the newest bios for your mainboard? (A newer bios could theoretically include a cpu microcode update that might fix the temp problems?) Anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:43 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I believe I may have tried to get the NB and HT running as close to 2Ghz as possible like several guides have mentioned doing. With such I'm was not even able to reach my current OC of 3.5Ghz, it caped out at more like 3.3Ghz. I do have the most current BIOS installed. I know not all CPU's in the same family are the same, or will perform the same. So I'm not concerned with not being able to reach some of the claimed 3.7-4.1Ghz clocks that people have achieved. I did not however know about the 1st batch of Phenoms having improper temperature diodes. I always thought different programs had a different way of reading the temperatures.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:42 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

metallicat122083 wrote:
I did not however know about the 1st batch of Phenoms having improper temperature diodes. I always thought different programs had a different way of reading the temperatures.

At one time, I saw a review. And the reviewer reported that the temperature on his Hexa Phenom was being reported as lower than his ambient air temperature.

I honestly cannot reccomend a fix to allow you to view proper temperature. About all you can do is test for stability with your overclock.

Still, that is a very nice piece of hardware you have your hands on there!
glhf