Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official September 2011 Magazine Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Subscribers should start receiving the September 2011 issue any day now; here is your official thread to talk about it.

What do you think of Dream Machine? How hard is the Geek Quiz? (Hard) and when's that case coming out?

If you have typos to point out, you can point those out in a separate thread, if you must.

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content). We promise to listen.

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our somewhat inaccurately titled No BS Podcast! The tech parts are No BS; the nerdy arguments about which fictional characters can defeat which are Slight BS.

Post subject: Re: Official September 2011 Magazine Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:16 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I love the "build it" article with the $340 budget box.

I really want to make that an HTPC. Would it make a decent one for Blu-Ray and DVD movies, Netflix, etc? I currently have an HTPC that has a Blu-Ray drive, running W7 32 bit, but it blue screens, and various other troubles.

I want to build this tiny comp with my drive and OS, but I will need wireless and this is so small there is no pci slot for a wireless card. I have had terrible luck with USB wireless. Can you guys recommend a good USB wireless adapter that works easily with W7?

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:13 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

An alternative, Mark, is to use a wireless router. Hardwire it to your HTPC and use it to nab the signal from your network.

Slightly overkill, perhaps, but in roughly the same price range as a GOOD wireless USB adaptor .. and you can use the same router for other appliances that are in the same physical location. I have a similar setup connecting my 360, HTPC, and Wii (even though the Wii has wireless built-in, it doesn't quite reach my network seamlessly).

Post subject: Dream Machine Surprises
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 pm 

I have always looked forward to the no holds barred, money is no object, Bonneville salt flat race of computers every September.

I was surprised not to find a PC Power and Cooling PSU in the dream machine this year. I thought they were the best, and therefore, your favorite manufacturer. I have one in my own system that I built about four years ago. Its aging, but it still kicks ass!

I was also surprised that it could not exceed the performance of DM2010 on three of the benchmarks. While this phenomenon is justified in the article, it also leads me to my third surprise - only one CPU? I'm almost disappointed. Even the whole tone of the last page of the article, when read between the lines, had the air of "We're sorry, but this is the best we can do right now."

Apparently, one of two things happened: either money had indeed become an object (which I would not doubt, given the current state of the economy), or a dual CPU Sandy Bridge motherboard with all the required functionality, namely triple SLI, was simply not available at the time.

Don't get me wrong, this dream machine still kicks a lot of ass. I totally agree with the article that the lack of the second CPU was the only thing keeping DM2011 from totally annihilating last year's numbers. I'd be interested to see a rematch if you ever find a dual Sandy Bridge motherboard with triple SLI and all the other goodies.

On a side note, my favorite quote out of the whole issue was "Dream Machine 2010 was so mean, we had to feed it five netbooks for breakfast and then sweep up all the tablets it crapped out all day long." This had me laughing for the rest of the day!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

On page 94 (Letters: we tackle tough reader questions on...) Drew Bierlein questions calling the i5-2500K a Budget Processor on the Best of the Best list.

While I understand Gordon's explanation, I think Drew is right - calling it a "Budget" CPU is misleading. Maybe the term should be "Bang-for-Buck" or "Best Value." I looked back at a few issues and I noticed the $667 Computer used an AMD CPU; In April 2011, a sub $1000 Sandy Bridge was built, but it used the i3-2100 (the 2500K would have pushed it over $1000).

Sorry, MPC, the 2500K is a great CPU, but budget it is not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Please don't treat this post as complaining or scolding but rather as constructive criticism.

Regarding the DM2011, I find it odd that you squandered a PCIe slot on a mere third videocard when the bandwidth would be much better spent on storage throughput. While the 2 Vertex3s in RAID-0 is okay, they pale compared to even a single Revo3x2, let alone a Z-driveR4 or eight Vertex3s on a decent PCIe-x8 hardware RAID card. Bragging about a single gigabyte per second is kinda lame in today's world.

Then again, MaxPC has always been a little behind the times regarding storage. You have little coverage of PCIe and HSDL SSDs even though SATA3 was obsolete before it was even fully implemented. You didn't even acknowledge the existence of the Indilinx Barefoot until it was almost half a year old, and I don't recall seeing anything about SSDs before they became mainstream with MLC Jmicron-based OCZ and then Intel X25 SSDs less than 4 years ago. By then many enthusiasts had been using Memoright, Mtron, Phison and other (mostly SLC) flash-based SSDs for years. I don't even recall MaxPC even covering VRAM-based SSDs including the very consumer-oriented SDRAM-based Gigabyte RocketDrive.

Perhaps you think MaxPC readers are just a bunch of gamers concerned primarily with frame rates. Many of us remember when MaxPC was mostly for computer hardware enthusiasts who were concerned with achieving improved overall system performance. Videocards were a hot topic back around the turn of the century when video performance was still a bottleneck. Today SSDs are the exploding technology despite the fact they've been around for over a third of a century. SSD development is leaving Moore's Law in the dust.

Not all MaxPC readers are single-tasking gamers and office app users. Some are power users who push their machines to the point where SSD performance at a cue depth of several dozen actually means something. How many people would have been booting from SSDs years ago if they'd been aware of the performance advantages? Instead they bought high-spindle-speed HDDs because at the time HDDs had faster sequential transfers while lagging on more important small-file random transfers and seek times.

Maybe times have changed and hardware performance enthusiasts aren't your target readership any more. Maybe there's no money in that. CPU magazine went under trying to cater to power users. Fair enough. Maybe you should change your name to Mainstream Gaming PC Magazine though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 pm 

What happened to the CD that came with the magazine
I bought it from walmart
do i have to subscribe to the magazine to get the CD :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

No, but you do need to buy the edition that has the CD.

It is easy to identify because it has a CD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Jipstyle wrote:
No, but you do need to buy the edition that has the CD.

It is easy to identify because it has a CD.

Actually we have stopped shipping the CD with newsstand copies of the magazine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:oops:

Excuse me while I go catch a crow .. I have some pie to make.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:42 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

It's the thought that counts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

*mumbles through mouthful of feathers* ... now he tells me ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a complaint! Page 57, bottom panel autopsy: Tribble YOU used a FAUX Tribble! :shock: Every Trekker KNOWS that isn't a real tribble! And I am VERY surprised that Gordon ALLOWED a fake tribble to be used. The REAL
tribbles can only be had/gotten from The Star Trek VHS box set *The Trouble with Tribbles*. For SHAME Gordon, TURN in your Tricorder!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:45 am 

This was my first encounter of MAXIMUMPC, and it got my attention. Here are 4 things that stood out for me.
Firstly, the Dream Machine 2011 article was inspiring to read. It made me want to build one just like it, just to say I had one.
Secondly, I was shocked by the budget box article, but also thrilled that I could build something at such a low cost. $340 for a computer that can run and still have the capability for upgrade was fabulous.
Thirdly, the geek quiz was not a shock when i found out that i am still a newbie in the technology industry. Though I have plenty of potential to be great.
Finally, the Head to Head article on Killer Wireless-N 1103 and Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 was another intresting read. I do not know much about the Bigfoot Killer NIC card and wasnt happy to see Intel losing the battle. I highly support Intel but am always open to finding alternatives that out perform.

So I want to say thanks for the great articles and am looking forward to October's issue.