Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Online gaming issues with wireless
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am 

Due to a future arrival of a new son, I need to move my computer. In the new location having a wired connection is not really feasible. Before moving I have picked up the new wireless components and have been trying to get everything to work together. I got everything set, except for my WoW addiction.

Router : D-Link DIR 665
USB wireless adapter : Trendnet TEW-684UB

When I connect to the router with a wired connection, I have noticed no issues. On the wireless connection after about 20 sec I will get booted from the game.

I have gone in and changed some settings in the router (channel width, WPA mode, Cipher type) and that bumped my connection rate to 300 Mbps. My current ISP plan gives 10 down / 1 up (tested on speednet with no significant difference wired or wireless).

Basically at this point I am at the end of my networking knowledge. Any ideas that I could try would be helpful.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Online gaming issues with wireless
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Newest firmware on the router?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:12 pm 

Firmware on the router is most recent (from 2008).
Drivers for the wireless adapter are the most recent version (from 3.5 months ago).

Sorry that I forgot to include that info earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

What is in between the router and computer? Microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, etc. can cause interference, thick walls and furniture can impede the signal, anything solid metal can reflect the signal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:11 pm 

There are many things that can affect wireless and whereas you do not often lose packets in flight on the wire, in wireless you do and it is expected. But of course you lose to many and depending on the protocol your connection will suffer.

If you have that problem the first thing I would do is to verify that it is an interference issue, distance issue or interface error. Move the router close to the PC and see if the connection gets better. If it does then you know for one reason or another you are getting interference or just general signal loss. If that is the case then I would make sure you have an N router and NIC if you do not already that can greatly enhance the performance.

If you move yourself close to the router and get the same thing it could still be interference but it is much more likely you have a bum router or NIC card and the best thing to do is replace one or the other.

Now the one thing you could do that may or may not work (but it's free) is to change the wireless channels your router is using. You can use any number of wireless scanning software for your PC and see what channels are least congested and try them and see if it helps. This is especially helpful if you are in an apartment as you have a mountain of signal around you where as in a house there is far fewer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:23 pm 

My wife and I had to clear out the den for a new baby's room.

Initially my computer and wireless adapter was less than 3 ft from the router. I was trying to get everything set up before moving it. At that time I would change out the wired and wireless connections while doing some testing.

I have since moved the computer. Currently I am approx. 15 ft away through 1 wall. By the Trendnet utility, I am still at full strength on the signal with 300 Mbps transfer rate.

I am not sure how much changing the signal will help, but it is worth a shot. A few neighbors around my house have wireless that the adapter will pick up on (about 3-4 signals that I can see at least). Would it make any difference for the mode to currently be set up as mixed n,g,b as opposed to just n only??

The thing that irks me is that I know of people who play with a wireless connection and some who up until a few months ago were still using dial-up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 am 

Yea it sounds for sure that something is malfunctioning vs. just poor performance. I would still try the channel thing just to be sure, if nothing else just put yourself on the last channel as a test.

But to be honest I would think about trying or getting another NIC.

Who makes your router? And have you gone and changed any of the wireless performance settings in it? If you hose those up you could have bad things happen.