Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP is about to lose my loyalty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I got an all-in-one from the Egg and it won't even finish installing. Says it has a (phantom) paper jam. Chat support was a waste of time. I specifically asked for the hardware factory reset and the dude just pointed me to some online FAQ that I had visited numerous times before even deciding to chat. Not really the Egg's fault, but if I can't get it to work, I have to ship it back at my expense. Good news is it will be replaced and shipped back at their expense. Here's hoping I can resolve this without shipping it back. I have some scanning to do.

Got the printer for $90; regular price is $140 which is why I didn't get it from a store.

HP officejet 6500a 710n (Ethernet only, no wireless) is replacing my old all-in-one psc 2210.

Post subject: Re: HP is about to lose my loyalty
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:46 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I can relate. I bought an HP all-on-one wireless some months ago and right off the bat it said it had a paper jam. Luckily enough though I was able to get a solution with google. There was a door in the back that I guess wasn't seated right and all I had to do was take it out and put it back in.

Other than that, I don't use their customer support.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:05 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Never been a loyalist to HP, lol. Only HP product I own is a PC that was gifted to me almost 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:12 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, I agree with you concerning the HP loyalist thing. I used to use HP inkjet printers when I started using a computer, but had nothing but bad luck with them. The first one (an HP Deskjet 420C) gave me garbled characters at the top and bottom of each page, and the second and third ones (I cannot remember the exact model number, but both were the same exact model) both died on me within six months to a year. Support was useless as well. For the last seven years, Epson is the only all-in-one manufacturer that I use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

pcstudent wrote:
For the last seven years, Epson is the only all-in-one manufacturer that I use.

I use Canon only, but if I had to use Epsons on a work environment, like I used to, I'd do that too, but HP's always been 1 of my personal distastes when it comes to printers especially, and even worse with their all-in-one's. They just plain suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

As far as phone support goes, HP really sucks! The first HP Deskjet 3320 printer (I went through two of them) ended up with a corrupted driver in Windows ME. When I contacted them for assistance, they sent me the instructions for manually editing the registry for Windows 2000 Professional. I can only assume they did not know the difference between the operating systems or they just didn't pay attention to my system information when I provided it. Either way, I ended up trashing the damn thing (after physically destroying it with my bare hands) and did the exact same with its replacement when it failed as well. After that, I turned to Epson and have never looked back!
I did have the privilege of installing and setting up a wireless HP printer for a co-worker a little over a year ago. And while I got it to work successfully with her wireless access point, I have to admit their proprietary software is extremely bloated and full of advertisements for related products.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I filled out one of their surveys which I never do. All means of support - online faq, email, chat, twitter - sucked. I didn't include the community forums because, well, they are users like myself.

I sent the printer back. Will let you know how that turns out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

@PCStudent, the problem there actually wasn't them, and they had no responsibility to help honestly, it was Microshaft's doing. Corrupted drivers was a major problem in WinME, amongst many t=others, of which Microsoft eventually declared it to be a bastard child that they hated cuz it was so screwed up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:53 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, it was them (meaning HP). If you read my post concerning the corrupted driver problem, you will note that I told them that my OS was Windows ME, but they gave me the information for manually removing the remnants of the corrupted driver for a Windows 2000 Professional OS. They did not pay attention to the information that I gave them concerning the problem or they simply did not realize that they are two completely different OSes. I realize that Windows ME was not the greatest OS produced by Microsoft (and, in fact, was as despised as Windows Vista), but the fact is that they (HP) gave me the wrong information for rooting out the corrupted driver remnants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

No, and it can be argued all you want, but it's true, it's not their fault that the issue happened in the first place, it's only their issue that they didn't listen to you when you told them WinME. The problem was with WinME to begin with, had that not happened, you'd have had a nice shiny printer to play with, not a smashed-to-bits pile of junk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Really???? How then do you explain that the Epson AIO that I replaced it with never suffered from a corrupted driver for the next 3 years that I had Windows ME as my main OS (After this time interval, I built a new machine with Windows XP Pro as the OS)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:13 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

The HP reps don't listen. Using the various ways to contact them, I specifically asked for the hardware reset code. No one provided this. I was beginning to think I didn't know what I was talking about. Fortunately, my tech friends assured me that yes, there is a such thing as a hardware reset code. The one for my phone is depress vol + and - at the same time as pressing power. I explained this to the reps. Still kept pointing me to the software reset menu. How much clearer could I have stated that? "What combination of button presses will restore the printer to the pristine factory settings?"

Ugh. Anxiously awaiting the replacement printer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:49 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

pcstudent wrote:
Really???? How then do you explain that the Epson AIO that I replaced it with never suffered from a corrupted driver for the next 3 years that I had Windows ME as my main OS (After this time interval, I built a new machine with Windows XP Pro as the OS)?

How do I explain it? Simple. WinME decided it wanted to play nice with it, period. If you don't believe me, that's your choice, you can do a Google search or ask anyone else here that's experienced with WinME, they'll tell you the same thing, WinME is the most retarded Windows release ever. It's picky and it corrupts data worse than the Dark Side of the Force, but again, it's still picky. Of all Win OS', ME was the absolute most problematic, period.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Why are we arguing about WinME .. an eleven year old OS that has been retired .. in a thread about HP and printers?

This thread has officially gone off the rails. Let's keep it on track, shall we.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:56 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Because what happens in WinME happens now :lol:

I like the way HP looks though. The printer matches my laptop....which they should since my laptop is HP also :D. I actually considered buying a HP USB dock as well....

yep I'm crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Jipstyle wrote:
Why are we arguing about WinME .. an eleven year old OS that has been retired .. in a thread about HP and printers?

This thread has officially gone off the rails. Let's keep it on track, shall we.

Cuz he was blaming someone else for Microsoft's screw up and it's not the right thing to do :D

I think the derailment honestly went kaput when the mentioning of Epson happened, lol. Also, a lack of experience was evident and needed to be shepherded. Huzzah!