Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My house has a simple network with 3 computers, running Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Anyways, about once or twice a week, the PC will not be able to connect to the network(happens to all of them, not at the same time). It won't even connect to the router. I unfortunately know almost nothing about networks.

The modem(thingy that plugs into the wall) is an Arris TM602G/115.

The wireless router(plugs into router thingy, makes it wireless) is a Linksys wrt54g2.

Our ISP is earthlink.

Thank you for help!

Post subject: Re: Network Problems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:26 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You should really private message an administrator and move this to the Network Nook, you will get an answer there for sure.

The admin for this site is hackman2007, just click on his name (green) at the top of the page and pm him.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:58 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Given that the issue is affecting all of the client PCs (regardless of OS or connection type), I'd suspect the router - either it's a bug in its firmware, or its dying.
So, the first thing I'd suggest is checking Linksys' site for a newer firmware version for your router, and applying it (if available.)
Points to note:
- check, check, and check again the hardware version on your router. Apply a firmware that's intended for your hardware version - nothing else.
- update firmware only from a machine that's wired to the router. Never update over wireless!
- It'll hang - bad - when it's applying the update. Don't panic, don't touch it. Just wait for the router's lights to start dancing (good sign) - soon, it will be done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Type in your exact model number, found on the bottom usually and download/install the latest firmware as per Cups post:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G2

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It is the latest, and I believe I re installed it before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:33 pm 

One way or the other it has to be either your router or a switch if you are not using the built in one on the router. I do think you will end up replacing it. Firmware will not usually cause issues out of the blue if it has known to been working for sometime that is usually failing hardware that does that.

One thing you did not mention is how you solve this when it happens. If the answer is to reboot the router that pretty much answers it.

Also have you tried to see if the PCs can talk to one another? I know you said they cannot talk to the router but if you are wrong about that then it would mean something else possibly. This would be especially the case if they are all wireless as someone might be hijacking your wireless and basically just killing your bandwidth.