Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Witcher 2 solved...sorta...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Just bought the damn thing and it won't load! It says it has a bad block on DVD in the Event Viewer. The disk stops at the exact same place every time I tried to load it. Anyone have this problem and how did they solve it? Is it in fact the DVD or the reader giving me grief? I tried it in both burners and the samething happens...Is it DRM from another game causing this? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nasty

Last edited by Nastyman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Witcher 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I read on another forum about a similar problem. I'll see if I can track it down and post a link for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 pm 

Maybe there's a way to download it from GOG, as you already own it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 am 

If it's the disk itself or the drive, put the disc in another computer use POWER ISO to rip an image of the disc. Transfer to your gaming pc via USB, network, or whatever. Mount the image using Power Iso.

If it's not the drive or anything, then make sure you have the latest patch downloaded and installed as I know there was a TON of secu-rom issues with this game and they ended up removing it entirely for the retail version via the latest patches.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:19 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

When I try to install the game I get an error that shows up in Event Viewer stating there are bad blocks on the DVD. So back to Walmart it goes for another copy. I'll let you know how things worked out...if I can ever get them to exchange it :shock: :lol:

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:57 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Do you have any disk mounting software installed. I remembered that some games would check and pretty much force you to uninstall them before it would proceeded. One of the reasons I bought the game on Steam. Little less hassle in terms of installing the damn thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

No, no disk mounting software installed... :cry:

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:26 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Can you use an older DVD drive? It seems that there are issues with CRC errors and newer drives.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

The drives I have are two years old...no new firmware for them either. :cry: :cry: :cry:

It is incredible how much incompetence there is a Walmarts these days. I can't get anyone to tell me if they have any Witcher 2 games in stock. :roll:

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I found a site that specializes in firmware update files and found the firmware for my DVD optical drives....waste of time...still get the CRC errors. :cry:

I went back and forth with the Witcher support team and explained what I have done to try to get the game to run. After going back and forth for two days they decided to give me a free download from GOG which I accepted and am downloading right now. It looks like it will take me at least two days to download the game. It is sliced into seven parts of which five parts are 2 gigs each. Each 2 gig part takes about 1.5 hours to download as they have their servers speed capped. I can understand why with the size of the games and the amount of people using the servers.

I have to say the Witcher 2 team was polite, quick replies, all they asked me to do is try their suggestions and finally gave me the GOG download for the inconvenience of trying to get the game to run and not being able to. So if you have problems with this game I would suggest you go through their support team, just be polite and explain your problem and you will get the help you need. I will buy their next game when it comes out because of the support they gave me.

Nasty

Post subject: Re: Witcher 2 solved...sorta...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

That is pretty sweet. Would they do the same for Steam per chance? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:57 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

They must have an arrangement with GOG to do this, they may have one with Steam as well...don't know. They got into big trouble with the Securom crap and put out a patch to get rid of it so people can play the game they paid for. Like I said before. I will continue to support them because of the way they handled my problem.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

the cdprojectred team i believe owns gog or so i read somewhere ive bought games from them inthe past
p.s. cdproject red is the developer of the witcher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:25 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

jktz122 wrote:
the cdprojectred team I believe owns gog or so I read somewhere I've bought games from them in the past
p.s. cdproject red is the developer of the witcher

They do. The Witcher 2 Forum really lit up over there, when their "Official" forum was down. I get a CRC error when trying to install The Witcher ( first one; Enhanced Edition ) in Windows 7. Unusual, as I have it installed on two other computers. One running Vista and the other XP MCE 2005. When the game is loading, it is constantly checking the installed files against the files on the disk. If there is a mismatch, then you get the error, which could be a bad disk ( scratched or otherwise corrupted ). On second thought. I think the version in the XP machine may be the Red Box Version ( could always try that and do a massive bunch of upgrades to the uncensored Enhanced Version ).