Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bioshock 1&2 install issues
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:28 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Bioshock has installed fine on my laptop about a year ago and now while in the setup it will say "failed to download updates, no modifications will be made to the computer" I've turned off my firewall and anti virus and it still didn't work. Then in bioshock 2 the stupid windows live thing is giving me huge issues saying I need to install an update (which I did) and the stupid thing still wont work even after an uninstall reinstall. It also wont load my profile from windows live properly. I have no idea what is going on because this computer is only 2 months old and everything till now has ran smoothly. I'm not so great on the software side of the house so someone please help me out as I would love to play these games. Or if someone can point me in the direction of a hack to run off the ISO only as an .exe or something.

Post subject: Re: Bioshock 1&2 install issues
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:20 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I had the same problem with Fable 3. I had to reinstall Windows live to get it to work when I got the same message as you. I just installed Windows live over the top of the old install and it worked.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I will try that for bioshock 2.

But what about bioshock 1? I've tried the going into task manager and killing the install when it prompts me that it can't download the update patch and will erase the install files. Some people have had luck with that and the game still works. But when I try to play it, it says I'm missing a file and closes. I've contacted 2K about this and they said "if you have a legal copy (which mine is) everything should work fine" bunch of help that was :roll: . If I can't get bioshock 1 to work it's kinda pointless for me to get the 2nd one working because I don't remember the story line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:15 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

When installing Bioshock 1, shut off your firewall and anti-virus. One or the other or both may be interfering with the install.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

already tried that, no worky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

If you are using win7 64 bit there are issues with the game. Did you try using XP compatibility mode to install and run the game?

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

No I didn't. I will try XP mode. thanks

Yes I'm running windows 7 64bit, my laptop is too and it installed fine. Only difference is my laptop has ultimate edition and my desktop has professional.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Running Bioshock 1 in any compatibility mode gets the same results. I even changed proxy settings like 2K suggests and changed my default browser to IE like they said as well.

If I install the game and then bring up task manager to kill the install when it says "install failed to download the update, no modification to your system will be made" (which if I click "finish" it will erase the install) and try to run the game it will give me an error stating the install can NOT be found. But the "play" button is highlighted like the install is good.

I have downloaded the patch manually but then I have to find the exact file to install it into the game files. So I have no idea what's going on with that because it prompts me to find where it needs to install.

Bioshock 2 is working though, windows live is the stupidest thing ever. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:30 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
windows live is the stupidest thing ever.
You got that right! If anymore windows games require it to run I won't buy it. I bought Fable 3...What a mistake that was, it is broken on the main plot line.

I don't even like Steam, it is always updating or crashing and takes forever to download the games you own when you reload windows. I know about the save games folder and backing it up, but when the hard drive dies...that is it if you didn't back it up.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Nastyman wrote:
I don't even like Steam, it is always updating or crashing and takes forever to download the games you own when you reload windows. I know about the save games folder and backing it up, but when the hard drive dies...that is it if you didn't back it up.

Nasty

You can't blame them for user irresponsibility though, simple as that really. I love Steam, and always try my best to do regular backups of my game data. So far it's been very good to and for me. As for GFW Live, I agree, it sucks hairy ones, but I'm waiting to see how it compares to EA's Origin.