Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FreeNAS 8 and Windows 7: Can they play nice?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Alright, so I currently have 3 computers together and powered on. 2 are running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and the third is running FreeNAS 8.0, amd64 release.

Now, I'm trying to get the FreeNAS box to show up in my Networks window so that I can share files with it (obviously) however, for whatever reason, it is feeling a bit shy. I can see the computer up, running, and connected to my router. I can log into the FreeNAS web GUI from my Windows machines. And I can ping it from my Windows machines. So it is obviously there and able to communicate across the network.

I'm not positive I've set up FreeNAS correctly, but I think I have. I've added volumes, turned on CIFS, and created Windows Shares. Thus I think this is a Windows side issue.

I've found through searches that Windows likes 128 bit encryption for shares, and that to change that in Home Premium, you need to do a registry edit, which I have. Kind of running out of ideas and good search results, so I thought I'd ask here. I left out all the details, but if you think it may be helpful to solving this issue, I'll certainly post them. Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: FreeNAS 8 and Windows 7: Can they play nice?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:47 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Double check that everything is on the same domain. If they are, try entering the FreeNAS's network name directly into explorer's address bar as "\\<FreeNAS's name>"; I've noticed that shares showing up in the Network Places are a bit flaky on my machines, but I can still access them through their name.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Just to make sure, the only domain I really have is the "homegroup" for windows. I haven't specified a domain on my router or anything. Still no luck connecting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

**UPDATE**

Ok, so, I've now managed to get the FreeNAS box to show up in my Networks section, however still having trouble connecting. If I double click it or type in the name of it I get "Windows cannot access \\FREENAS" yadda yadda, unhelpful error message. Clicking on the details says the network path was not found. But Windows, you can see it; you can ping it; how is the path not found? Do you think it'll help if I threaten to attach a car battery to it's USB hubs? I don't think so either. So frustrating. I guess I'll scour Google some more and hope someone here has an idea. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Further update:

So, the FreeNAS box was only visible for a short bit there. I made some changes to the one Win7 box, restarted, and haven't been able to see the FreeNAS box since.

I'm thinking about maybe dropping back to an earlier version of FreeNAS to see if that alleviates the problem. I've seen several suggestions around the internets of upgrading to Win7 Pro, but I don't want spend almost $200 to get this NAS thing to work. Otherwise I would have built a whole new computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:34 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Well, it looks like the answer to the question posed in the title of this post is "No."

Try as I might I have had no luck in getting Windows 7 and FreeNAS 8 to communicate with each other. I've since rolled back to FreeNAS 7 and things are working well so far; copying files to the server as I type this. Pretty stoked about this. Been dying to have all my stuff in one central location for awhile now. The only problem with it is that there is a hodge-podge of 4 random hard drives in the box, so there's no RAID or anything set up. Once I have the extra cash I'll hopefully be getting a few TB drives and tossing them in for a RAID 5 off the motherboard's chipset. Yes, I know drives are pretty damn cheap right now; but the wife wouldn't take kindly to $200+ being spent on something she doesn't deem necessary.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:21 am 

The answer is 'YES'...

Go In : Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options

Change these two options:

1) Network security: LAN Manager authentication level -> Send LM & NTLM responses

2) Minimum session security for NTLM SSP -> Disable Require 128-bit encryption

Regards!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hello!

Any idea how I would go about making changes directly to the registry. For some reason, I don't have the Local Security Manager... etc. on my system! :(

Kind regards!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm 

Hi!

Could not see my own reply, so posting again. I have the Windows 7 home premium; unfortunately, I don't have these options in my administrative tools. Any idea how I could put them directly into the registry? Alternately, how could I install the local security policy module?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kind regards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:13 pm 

I had this problem as well, I did this to fix it:

Turned on CIFS in services, and clicked edit on the settings for CIFS and changed netbois name to the workgroup (mine was just WORKGROUP).