Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Remote connecting to a computer just by clicking a link
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 am 

I am a computer tech for a campus library, and my boss has just given me the challenge of creating a web page on our personal server that will hold links to every computer in the building. By clicking the link you can remotely connect to that specific PC, through either IP address or computer name, so we do not need to wander the entire building to make changes to our computers. I'm on little lost on how to create such a project, therefore any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (such as programming language- hoping java script could do it)

Post subject: Re: Remote connecting to a computer just by clicking a link
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I don't know that you can (or should) do this.

Just install VNC or use Remote Desktop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

We're not really sysadmins around here, so this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I would assume that MSFT already has product(s) to assist with managing desktops remotely (in addition to the actual remote desktop code). Is there some special reason that you need to have it work in a browser?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am 

Simply...easy of access from what I understand. Yeah I'm not sure what I can do here either, I'll have to sit down with my boss sometime. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Masta Yesevil wrote:
I am a computer tech for a campus library, and my boss has just given me the challenge of creating a web page on our personal server that will hold links to every computer in the building. By clicking the link you can remotely connect to that specific PC, through either IP address or computer name, so we do not need to wander the entire building to make changes to our computers. I'm on little lost on how to create such a project, therefore any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (such as programming language- hoping java script could do it)

Microsoft uses Remote Desktop (mstsc if you want to type it into the Run command)...as far as launching this in a webapp, good luck. There really isn't a clever way, the HTTP protocol wants to download the file to you (I tried a small example where I even hard linked the file's location in my C: drive). You may want to invest in products like SysAid which is geared towards what you guys want to do.