Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: the move to IPv6 & legacy hardware
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:00 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Sorry, but am not quite sure if this is a network or an Internet question.... So I apologize ahead of time if it needs to be moved....

Anyway, I just bought a gently used cable modem from a friend to use with Comcast. Only thing is the modem isn't officially rated for IPv6 (at least, not now... not sure if the mfr will have a firmware upgrade later), but anyway, when the Internet moves to IPv6, what will happen to older hardware that is only rated for IPv4? Is legacy IPv4 still going to be in place at least for a year or two while everyone upgrades to IPv6-certified hardware/software?

(I didn't pay much for this modem--only $25, but would like to at least get some use out of it---maybe at least a years worth to make the effort of obtaining it worthwhile. That and, for what it's worth, my router IS IPv6 capable--although I don't know if that will help the modem any if it isn't).

Post subject: Re: the move to IPv6 & legacy hardware
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:28 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

More than likely Comcast will downconvert and upconvert the connection to your modem. What I mean is that Comcast will have, if they don't already, dual capable hardware that will place your IPV4 connection into a IPV6 tunnel connection from the first piece of hardware your modem connects to on their network. Worst case they force you into a modem upgrade. As to the firmware for the modem if there is a firmware update Comcast will be the ones to force the firmware update from their side of the connection as they control the connection settings of your modem.

Post subject: Re: the move to IPv6 & legacy hardware
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:05 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I figured that they would do something, because even general computer users may not be aware of the change and what it actually requires to have a IPv6-compliant machine (NIC, drivers and OS that all support IPv6, not to mention a router and modem that do as well).

I would hope that ISPs would have a period where you could use both (maybe for a year or two) because some people are still using XP and probably an old Wireless B or G connector, which may or may not be capable of IPv6. I also presume that manufacturers will also release firmware upgrades for routers and modems.