Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I stealth Chrome?
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Chrome Incognito mode still has a bad weakness when it comes to site suggestions. It's easier just to show you what's happening. I can't figure out how to disable the AutoComplete or URL suggestion option, and I've tried the obvious methods. And mods, the video is unlisted, so I'm not trying to promote my channel or whatever:

Post subject: Re: How do I stealth Chrome?
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:51 pm 

In Windows XP you can right click an .exe and get the option to "Run As..." and then type in credentials of another user.

I had a similar issue to yours, and was able to use Internet Explorer "as another user" whenever I wanted to do presentations, and it would use the settings of "that other user" like Favorites, Home Page, etc. Perhaps try running Chrome as "another user"?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I use Win7. The stuff that shows up in fields varies from rig to rig, which means that there might be a way to keep the suggestions and history that pop up in fields and in the URL box from showing up whenever I start typing. What that way is, well, no one seems to know. I've posted a duplicate thread in Chrome's forums, but so far no one has responded. Google hasn't been so great when it comes to privacy, so this shouldn't be a surprise. I don't know if there is any search engine that doesn't do this kind of thing. IE is so tightly integrated with Windows that it might save searches and field entries as well. Firefox/Aurora's private browsing mode has weaknesses too, from what I've experienced. Changing browsers really isn't what I want to do. Chrome is my preferred browser, and I want to find a way to get it to 1. save searches, history, and field entries in normal mode and 2. act like a blank slate in incognito mode.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

This isn't a problem with Chrome .. you're just misunderstanding what the privacy mode does. Incognito is not meant to be a clean slate.

When you're in stealth mode, nothing that you do is recorded. However, everything that you did in 'normal' mode remains accessible. It doesn't reset any settings.

If you're in stealth mode and you type 'www.maxi' into the URL bar, it will autocomplete http://www.maximumpc.com (for instance) if you've been to maximumpc.com using the browser. Stealth mode does NOT wipe or ignore previous history .. it only prevents current browsing from being recorded.

If you want to run Chrome without autocomplete or previous history interfering with your browsing, the easiest thing to do is to run the browser using a different user account (as suggested earlier).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the explanation, Jipstyle. If I knew where the browsing information was stored, I could copy the old file with all of the browsing information, and create a second one for privacy browsing. That's assuming that Chrome creates a missing file if one has been renamed (Autodesk Maya does that). Another side note worth mentioning: web history with a Google account does not affect auto-fill entries and search suggestions. I sometimes leave my account open on computers at work (bad idea, don't do it), and none of those entries ever show up on my home rigs. I'd also like to know where passwords and username entries are stored. There are some webpages I've visited that have my username only automatically typed in when I visit the page, but not my password, and every time you mistype your user name, it will permanently show up in the list of usernames for that site. I want to be able to edit that list, and have it only store the usernames I want it to going forward. I'll have to think about setting up an alternate account. That requires a bit of management.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Do you know who else might be able to tackle the Chrome security issue? I've asked Tom's Hardware and the Chrome forums, too, but no one replied.