Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How to configure Linksys WRT54GS as a wireless Client Bridge
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 am 

Hello to you all,

I am using a ZyXel wireless router (P-660HW-T1 v3) provided by my ISP in my office (second floor of my house).

It is currently connected straight to my ADSL line.

To it, are connected, by LAN cables RJ45, two laptops and a printer, all in my office.
So far so good ...

My wife is using here Laptop downstairs, (living room), and access the net, (at the moment), using the ZyXel wireless;
The only problem is that the signal is quite low (one or two bars at the most).
All drivers and firmwares are up to date.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS and I was wondering if it was possible to put it downstairs to boost the ZyXel’s wireless signal.
I hope I am clear enough.

I have made some test and configured as follow:

Tech info:

ZyXel:
LAN:
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Configured as a DHCP : from 192.168.1.33 to 192.168.1.65

WRT54GS:
Setup=>Basic setup:
Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP: 192.168.1.254
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Setup=>Advanced Routing
Operating Mode: Router
Dynamic Routing: Both
Static Routing=> Interface=> Lan&Wireless

My wyfe's laptop can connect wirelessly to the WRT54GS but with "limited connectivity" IP 169.254 .... Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
If I force (static ip) on the Wifi network card on this laptop to, for exemple: 192.168.1.60; Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 => I can access the WRT54GS configuration screen wirelessly (http://192.168.1.254/) but still no internet connection :-(

Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide,
Nice day to you all.

Last edited by Setenza on Sat May 21, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Using a Linksys WRT54GS as a Wireless Access Point?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:18 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You almost got it. From the sound of that, the config on the 54GS is correct - if you were running it in "AP-only" mode.
But, that's not what you want here. AP-Only mode shuts off all of the 'router' functionality, and reduces it to a simple wireless access point (great for hanging wireless off of an existing (wired) LAN.)
Rather, what you want here is Wireless Distribution System (WDS), sometimes known as 'wireless bridging.' To the best of my knowledge, the stock Linksys firmware for that router doesn't support WDS - you'd need to install DD-WRT or Tomato (third-party firmwares, which add a lot of functionality and control) on it. But, the other end (you XyXel gateway) does need to support it, too.

My recommendation: install the correct version of DD-WRT on the '54GS (standard caution: there is always the possibility of 'bricking' (killing) the thing doing this. Follow the instructions to the letter, and proceed at your own risk), and try to join it to your existing wireless network.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:46 am 

Hi Cup,

First of all thank you for your feedback on this.

Do you have any ideas about where I can find this "DD-WRT or Tomato" ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:16 am 

Hi again,

I have found two relevant links based on your recommendation, would you be kind enough to point me to the right one and maybe some tips about it ?

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you

http://wifi-setup.blogspot.com/2008/07/ ... ddwrt.html

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Li ... .0_%26_7.2

Last edited by Setenza on Sat May 21, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS as a Wireless Distribution System WDS ?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:16 pm 

Hi again,

I have been moving forward with this topic.

I have now managed to flash my WRT54GS v7 router (which has a Broadcom BCM5354 chip rev2) on it, with the: DD-WRT v24-sp2 firmware following the procedure below which has worked flawlessly for me.
Many more options are now available “which I still need to figure out in order to achieve my initial goal…”

***********************************************************************************
BEWARE!! This procedure is ONLY for WRT54GS v7 with a chip OTHER THAN Intel
If your chip is Intel, applying this procedure WILL most likely BRICK your router.
To be used at your own risk.
***********************************************************************************

1. NOTE TO WINDOWS VISTA AND WINDOWS 7 USERS: By default the TFTP Client is disabled and you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROCEED UNLESS YOU HAVE ENABLED IT. To enable: click the Start orb and type the following into the Start Search field: "features" (Without the " " of course, but you have to tell some people). At the top of the Windows Start Bar, you will see "Programs and Features;" click on that. In the left pane of the new window, click Turn Windows Features on or off. Scroll down through the Windows Features until you see TFTP Client. Select the option box and press OK.
2. First download this file:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/download ... eneric.bin
3. You will also need:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/download ... Sv7-v3.bin
4. Finally download:
ftp://priede.bf.lu.lv/pub/OS/ruuteri/Ly ... 1_Tftp.exe
5. Configure your local LAN Ethernet address to 192.168.1.100 and connect your local Ethernet to your WRT54GSv7 on one of the four switch ports. Do not use a wlan connection!
6. Disconnect the power cord from the WRT54GSv7.
7. Push the reset button while reconnecting the power cord and hold the button for about 20 seconds.
8. Open your browser to http://192.168.1.1/ by default, user: none, pass: admin
9. Use the Firmware upgrade option under the Administration tab to flash with vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin (previously downloaded – point 2).
10. After the dialogue screen about “Upgrade successful – rebooting device” => “continue”
11. Click on continue
12. Disconnect the power cord and reconnect it.
13. Wait for FIVE FULL minutes.
14. Again, disconnect the power cord and reconnect it.
15. Launch: befsx41_Tftp.exe (previously downloaded – point 3).
16. Enter 192.168.1.1 as the server address and for the password : « admin »
17. [Browse] your way to the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin (previously downloaded – point 3).
18. Click [upgrade]. Please wait....
19. Done!! Default password (username:root)(password:admin).

That’s it

Now I am still unsure on how to move forward as for the right choice to make or the config to apply…
Should I opt for WDS?, Setting up the repeater in either Client Mode or as a Client Bridge ??

Since my ZyXel chip set isn’t a Broadcom it seems that trying to configure WDS will be a nightmare,,, but I am still digging.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS as a Wireless Distribution System WDS ?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:10 pm 

OK PROBLEM SOLVED !!! :P

After some research I have opted for the "Client Bridge" configuration for my Linksys,

Nearly no change was required on my main gateway (the ZyXel router) except changing the security mode from WPA to WPA2

The rest is described step-by-step in the procedure below

As a reminder, I have now:
A ZyXel router Second floor acting as a gateway
A Linksys router First floor acting as a client bridge
No cable between them, they communicate wirelessly.
I have in total 9 wireless devices i the house; all with 5 bars (max reception) and improved surfing and download speed,
It was worth the effort... espacialy when adding only an old router to my configuration :!:
:arrow: Hope it's going to help someone else out there :P
And thank you for those who took the time to read my posts and to "cup" who put me in the right direction this morning ! :wink:

Client Bridge PROCEDURE
First of all, do not even try to do client bridge with dd-wrt SP1. It won't work.

The router that you are trying to connect to is the primary router. The router you are configuring is the client bridge(CB) router. You don't need to worry about the primary router as long a s you set your CB to the SAME subnet. What this means is, if the primary router has an IP of 192.168.A.X, you need to set the CB router to an IP of 192.168.A.Z. Most primary routers will be at 192.168.1.1. So, when you are configuring your CB router, set it to 192.168.1.9

With that in mind, here is how to configure it.
1. Download a recommended build for your router. DO NOT USE SP1. If you are using a broadcom router, read the peacock thread prior to starting. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486 Use one of those recommended builds.
2. Do a HARD reset on your router.
3. Connect a cable from your computer to the LAN port on your router.
4. Set your computer to a static IP address of 192.168.1.9
5. Set your browser to 192.168.1.1 and open the dd-wrt webgui.
6. You should be asked to change your password and username. Carefully type these in. If you aren't asked for a password and username, do a hard reset, this time doing it properly! Hit change password.
7. Go FIRST to wireless, wireless security and enter the security type and key that matches your primary router. You must use wpa2-aes for things to work reliably. The only other that works reliably is wep. You might have to change your primary router to a security that works with dd-wrt.
8. Hit SAVE, (or APPLY if you wish to)
9. Go to the wireless, basic settings page and change the wireless mode to Client Bridge.
10. Your wireless network mode should be set to the same as the primary router.
11. Set the wireless channel to match your primary router channel if there is a channel selection available.
12. If you are using N only or Mixed with N, set your wireless channel width to match your primary
13. Set the wireless network name to exactly the same as your primary router. Make sure spelling and capitalization match.
14. Set Ack timing to 0 unless you have a long distance (>300 meter) link (Optional with broadcom routers)
15. Hit SAVE at the bottom. Then hit APPLY.
16. Check to make sure all the configurations, including the mode, saved and the mode is still client bridge. If any changed, fix them, and save again.
17. Goto Setup, basic setup and enter a router Local IP address of 192.168.1.6. Leave subnet mask at 255.255.255.0.
18. Set the Gateway IP to your primary router. (Likely 192.168.1.1)
19. Leave Local DNS blank
20. Check Assign Wan port to a switch, if you wish to.
21. Change your timezone and DST to match where you are.
22. Hit Apply.
23. Set your browser to 192.168.1.6 and login to your router
24. Goto Security, Firewall. Under Block Wan Requests, uncheck everything but "Filter Multicast" (Leave Filter multicast checked).
25. Hit Save
26. Disable SPI Firewall
27. Hit Apply.
28. Go to setup/advanced routing and change the operating mode from "gateway" to router. Hit Apply.
29. Set your computer back to auto IP and auto DNS.

You are done. Configure any other settings you wish at this point. .

Post subject: Re: How to configure Linksys WRT54GS as a wireless Client Br
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:47 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Sorry I wasn't available to post yesterday.
But, glad you got the details figured out, and things working. :)

Post subject: Re: How to configure Linksys WRT54GS as a wireless Client Br
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:17 pm 

No problems,
thanks for your help