Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rift
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:26 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The more I see the advertising on this forum the more I want to play it. Damn marketing companies :evil:

Post subject: Re: Rift
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

is it any good? been pondering buying my self.... but i am pretty picky and always scared to try new games... I love rpgs but more of the hack n slash , Dragon Age / Baldurs Gate / Oblivion ... anyone know how it compares?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I fell for the adds, I was browsing the forums and saw the add, I haven't played in a wile and I wanted to try a new game so I rushed to the store and I got it :mrgreen:

The game is really good, it looks like it will be a very serious competitor to wow. The user interface is very intuitive and similar to wow and some people where complaining for the lack of creativity but in my opinion it might look similar but it works great, fully customizable with some nice features like a button to sell all the gray items in your inventory and a lot of stuff I won't go into.

the game has guilds, dungeons, pvp, raids, professions, and all that stuff MMO are known for. But one of the best things I like about Rift are the Rifts themselves, they are very fun to participate in, and you won't be alone most of the time because players like to close rifts (you also get a reward) and there are invaions that you should help defeat because they will kill most of the NPC including questgivers and trainers.
Questing is great, you get a quest tracker in one side of your screen and when you look at your map, you will get yellow circle telling you the general area or the specific spot where you should go to do your quest. Thats very cool, no more going to thotbot or googling quests.
You can have a mount at any lvl as long as you have the money, and there are some faster mounts for lvl 50 players, and they are not very expensive, I got mine at lvl 17.
You won't have to do any grinding in order to level up, doing quests will level you up fast.
And it's new, so the graphics are great!

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the armor and weapons seems kind of dull, I don't get that effect I used to get in wow when I saw another player with a nice looking weapon or armor and I was like "cool, I need to get me one of those" and I wouldn't stop until I got it.
But the thing that I like is that you can buy dyes and tint your armor to make it look cooler and the way you like.

all in all it's a really great game, Google around, I think they are giving away some trial key as part of some promotion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

is it p2p?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:26 am 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Yep, $50 for the initial client and 30 days and then $15 a month afterwards. I've occasionally seen the client go on sale for around $35 - $40. Not too terribly interested in the game currently, looks decent but I've moved away from paying for the initial client when it comes to MMOs. I really like the way EVE Online works when it comes to this, free download of the client with an initial startup for one month of $20 then $15 a month afterwards with all additional content done for free. I really wish more MMOs would follow this model. I don't mind paying a monthly fee but it really sucks when you have to pay $50 just to start playing the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Subscription pay-to-play crap is why I won't be getting either RIFT or DCUO, both of which look awesome to me, but not worth shelling out that kind of cash that I should instead be investing in, oh idk, gas ($15 is 3 gallons of fuel nowadays!!!) for the family car or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm surprised that people complain about paying $15 a month to play quality online games. Heck, I could pay more than that just for a single movie in a theater with some popcorn and a drink. And I could only buy maybe four or five comics and have them all read in a few hours tops. MMO's are very a good value for the money and time one spends on them. Think of the money spent as your entertainment or recreation dollars.

As for Rift, yes, if you're an enthusiastic online gamer that likes high fantasy, I highly recommend giving a Rift a serious try. The game play is buttery smooth with no lag even in massive battles (something to do with their "cloud connection" structure), and it has beautiful graphics. They're rogue stealth graphic alone is worth the price of the game, no joke! I'm an enthusiastic WoW player and I give Rift very high marks for a gorgeously polished game right out of the gate. Between its advertising campaign and high quality game play, I believe it will be a serious competitor to WoW in the months and years ahead. And no, I do not own any stock in Trion and I'm not a paid shill, lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I complain about it for 2 reasons. 1: I simply can't afford to just throw money into an endless abyss, and 2: It wouldn't be such a huge ordeal if the damn game itself wasn't so effin expensive. If you're going to charge a monthly usage fee of $10+, then don't make the initial startup cost so high, lower it to MAYBE $10 above the 30-day starter subscription cost that it ships with. I'm not paying $50 to $60 for a game that the first month of continual monthly fees costs $10 to $15, that's just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:10 am 

I've been interested on Rift, to be honest I'm burned of WoW and SWTOR is far in the future.

Maybe Mortal_M or someone else can update us on how's the end-game, if there's PVE servers (tired of being ganked), how does the PVP work (arenas, battlegrounds) and raiding.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yes, there are PVE servers, just like in WoW. In fact, if you're familiar with WoW, you'll be familiar with Rift. But the whole story line is different, the graphics are better, and the whole style of gameplay as you march to level cap is quite different. You can quest, dungeoneer, and pvp your way to the level cap, but you'll always have to contend with the rifts. Not to worry, closing the rifts nets you currency to get uber purple gear.

HTH

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:07 pm 

Thanks!, maybe I'll give it a try this month.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

not really much of a storyline compared to wow .. i did the beta version its meh if im bored maybe ill invest in the 40-50 needed for it
in rift like any mmorpg there are nice people and there are arseholes

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

nsafreak wrote:
Yep, $50 for the initial client and 30 days and then $15 a month afterwards. I've occasionally seen the client go on sale for around $35 - $40. Not too terribly interested in the game currently, looks decent but I've moved away from paying for the initial client when it comes to MMOs. I really like the way EVE Online works when it comes to this, free download of the client with an initial startup for one month of $20 then $15 a month afterwards with all additional content done for free. I really wish more MMOs would follow this model. I don't mind paying a monthly fee but it really sucks when you have to pay $50 just to start playing the game.

No it REALLY sucks when you have to buy 3 or more $50 expansions on top of the original game and subscription fee ala wow. IIRC the each of the first 3 segments of the game are going for $20 right now with cataclysm still being 25-40.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

its down to 29 dollars for the collectors editions directly through trion

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm 

jktz122 wrote:
its down to 29 dollars for the collectors editions directly through trion

Thanks for the info, past weekend was on sale on Steam and I debated a lot about getting it, maybe this time I will.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i debated and waffled too .. in the end i tried the free 7 day trial thing and for 29$ bought it
plus you choose a monthly game time plan either way for 294 i got the actual game with the collectors edition items
and i will pay 15$ a month for now till i get tired

i still think wow is a more mature game and its easier to get into a alliance in wow

let me clarify another difference and another thing i like .. these outdoor public raids (rifts) are easy to get into and its a fun thing no matter how brief they are .. in wow getting into a raid is hard you need to be geared and its a royal pain
havent done dungeons or instances in rift yet .. and i dont have to tell you what pain they can be in wow
both in gettting into one if you are dps or when something goes wrong and your group wipes how easy it is to get blamed

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:24 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

jktz122 wrote:
havent done dungeons or instances in rift yet .. and i dont have to tell you what pain they can be in wow
both in gettting into one if you are dps or when something goes wrong and your group wipes how easy it is to get blamed

The only instance I ever got to go on in WoW was after I was lvl 23 and the guy who was leading it got pissed off at me cuz I accidentally picked up the uber-rare drop he was trying to get in it. I didn't know, and I told him it was my first ever, lol. That was right before my initial 30 days was up and I haven't played it since, maybe for like 5 minutes or so, if that. I do remember getting bored easily and just closing it out. That was when Blizzard sent me one of those "please come back" promos with 7 days free game time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i let my subscription to rift die.. its just too boring sure the eye candy looks nice but i couldnt just get into it

im still playing wow for what its worth i still like it and i have all 10 toon slots on 2 servers heheh different classes
im still having fun

is it perfect? no nothing is

maybe diablo 3 will be although i hear no offline mode

hmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, just like Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 will require an always-on high-speed internet connection. Talk about bogus. I'm really not liking Blizzard whatsoever any more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i dont mind always on but i want single player offline ... something similar to what we had in d2