Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Verizon DSL $19.99 a month for life? Apparently not.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:03 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

In April 2008, I took advantage of a Verizon DSL deal that said I'd get 768down/128up service at $19.99 a month for life.
In October 2008, I got a card in my snailmail box saying that I was being given a free upgrade to 3.0Mdown/768up.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83661&start=0

Yesterday, I got an email from the friendly folks at Verizon that said this:

We are writing to let you know that your current Verizon High Speed Internet pricing plan expires soon. Your base monthly rate is scheduled to increase to $21.99 (not including additional services, equipment fees, taxes or surcharges) and will be reflected on your bill within the next two months. The new rate will remain in effect for one year.

My response was, of course, "WTF?"

Long story short, it seems that when they gave me the free upgrade to 3.0Mb down, the "for life" part no longer applied! I was given two options: 1Mb/?down at $19.99 a month, or keep my 3.0Mb/768 at $21.99.

I know it's just two bucks, but the sleight of hand galls me.

And I already know that cable is faster, but even for 3.0Mb service, it's $29.99 a month if you have cable TV, $54 a month if you don't. We don't.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Last edited by OvenMaster on Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Verizon $19.99 a month for life? Apparently not.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Cable isn't necessarily faster. It depends largely on how many users they put on your node and the amount of bandwidth that they consume. DSL, on the other, is dependent on your distance from the CO.

It sucks that they used that bait and switch. Bright side: if you'd know when it was offered that the price would rise in three years, would have taken the faster package?

Post subject: Re: Verizon $19.99 a month for life? Apparently not.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Jipstyle wrote:
Bright side: if you'd know when it was offered that the price would rise in three years, would have taken the faster package?

Probably not, because family finances give a higher priority to the price, not the speed. But... two bucks more to go from 1.0 to 3.0 is definitely justifiable. For now.

Post subject: Re: Verizon DSL $19.99 a month for life? Apparently not.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:39 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Honestly, I don't see any bait-n-switch in how you explained things. They gave you 1 offer as a for-life speed-and-price package, then later offered you an upgrade and didn't specify it being a for-life upgrade price, that's not their fault for misleading you, as it's in clear print (or lack-thereof). Omissions are very important to notice, and if we as the consumer don't take notice, we're the ones liable for any issues that arise. Totally sucks ass, but that's how it is :( I'd honestly be wary of anything "for life" with a company like Verizon regardless, just too "iffy".

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
Honestly, I don't see any bait-n-switch in how you explained things. They gave you 1 offer as a for-life speed-and-price package, then later offered you an upgrade and didn't specify it being a for-life upgrade price, that's not their fault for misleading you, as it's in clear print (or lack-thereof). Omissions are very important to notice, and if we as the consumer don't take notice, we're the ones liable for any issues that arise. Totally sucks ass, but that's how it is :( I'd honestly be wary of anything "for life" with a company like Verizon regardless, just too "iffy".

A very convenient - for VZ - omission that made no mention of their original agreement until I questioned them about it. And of course, if bump up their speeds from 768k, they can very conveniently claim that their offer is no longer valid or available. I feel that I should have been told way back when so that I could have possibly made a choice. I hate technicalities like that. Thinking like a friggin' corporate lawyer all the time shouldn't be necessary to get through one's day.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

OvenMaster wrote:
A very convenient - for VZ - omission that made no mention of their original agreement until I questioned them about it. And of course, if bump up their speeds from 768k, they can very conveniently claim that their offer is no longer valid or available. I feel that I should have been told way back when so that I could have possibly made a choice. I hate technicalities like that. Thinking like a friggin' corporate lawyer all the time shouldn't be necessary to get through one's day.

This I wholeheartedly agree with, completely, unless you ARE a corporate lawyer, lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:28 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Curtis, by Ray Billingsley 12May2011

Post subject: Verizon DSL 19 99 a month for life Apparently not
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 am 

I have been getting mad at Verizon lately in the rural area were I am at there is Limited amount of DSL connections and they are all full and people are still moving into area and they dont see it profitable to upgrade and add more DSL slots. I am within range to the switching station for DSL . So eaither someone moves or cancels there DSL I am stuck on Dial-up. Before I moved there was DSL available but after I moved all the slots filled up.

Moving to a Rural area is a double edge sword it has nice land healthier air but does not have landline broadband. The only other connections are Satellite internet"Max 17GB Limit" or 3G "5GB Limit. I cant do any of them because I can easily use up 25GB to 40GB a month. I am a heavy Downloader

I would like to through Verizon into the dog pound.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:44 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

you mean throw?

Also, I believe Sprint is the only one that doesn't have a cap on their cell based internet service.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

JBaz wrote:
you mean throw?

Also, I believe Sprint is the only one that doesn't have a cap on their cell based internet service.

No....but Sprint has a big load of hidden fees. I get charged like an extra $8.99/month just because my bill isn't on "autopay"...despite putting it onto autopay through online AND calling customer service about it.