Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: performance when adding Gigabit switch to existing Gb router
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:21 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm planning to add a 5-port Gigabit switch to my existing 4-port Wireless N router (which already has a 4-port built-in Gigabit switch).

Will there be a decrease in speed through the second (added) switch? Will this added switch affect the entire network itself? (All of my devices use Gigabit ethernet, except for my printer server---which is an old P3 computer which only has a 10/100 card, but I only use this PC for web browsing and print services) . I'm mainly concerned about are my main computers, my PS3 and my file server (like I said, THEY all have Gigabit controllers).

FYI, I do plan to stream video across the wired network, so it would still need to be fast enough to do HD content (which I think 300Mbps is fast enough, but I'm more or less just curious as to the impact of adding the switch to the whole network).

Post subject: Re: performance when adding Gigabit switch to existing Gb ro
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:02 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You're overthinking it.

Everything's Gb? Everything will run at Gb speed. You're not going to see a performance hit, just because you added a switch here.
And, the switch will only "affect" the traffic that actually goes thru it (say, device->switch->router->device); it will not affect traffic that doesn't need to go thru it (say, device->router->device.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:39 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I guess what I was getting at with the slow down question was more to the effect of "If I'm streaming to/from a device connected to the added switch, will that affect the overall throughput speed of other devices also on that same switch?"

(Maybe I'm overthinking this as well, but I just want to make sure. It's probably not a big deal, but I'm just checking before I consider rewiring my network.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:20 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You'd have to have an absolutely insane traffic load to notice any kind of slowdown, I think. Or, a really, really crappy switch. ;)

Let me put it this way:
My home network. Main switch is a Linksys SD216 (16-port 10/100 switch, most of the house is connected to this.) Second switch is a Linksys SD1008 (8-port Gb switch,) To the Gb switch is connected my main Media Center, 3 HDHomeruns (each a dual HD TV tuner), two Xbox 360s, and the run to my bedroom (where there's another PC used as a Media Center; it's connected to a D-Link DIR-655 running in AP-only mode.) Last port is the connection to the 216.
With everything running (all 3 HDHRs active (read: all 6 tuners in use), both 360s watching TV (Live or recorded, doesn't matter), and my bedroom PC also watching something from the main MC (recorded TV, or a ripped DVD)), I notice no noticeable slowdown on 'other' activity (say, copying a file across the network), nor do I notice any stuttering on anything that's playing.
Mind you, I (and, everyone else in the house) pretty much only watch & record HD content, and my DVD rips are full-bitrate copies (I do a straight rip, and convert to DVR-MS. It's just as big as the main-movie files on the original disc.)

You're overthinking things. You'll be fine. ;)