Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Getting a/v signal from pc to tv in another room
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:06 pm 

I am looking for a solution that would allow me to send video and audio outputs from my pc in one room to my tv in another. I plan on watching 1080p movies and playing games on my pc from my living room so the tv will basically just be used as a second monitor. I was hoping to be able to do this without running cables through my walls and across the living room floor.

My pc has dvi ports on the gfx card and 3.5mm audio ports on the sound card and my tv has hdmi, component, cable, rca, and svideo. I was thinking that I could convert the dvi/audio signals from my pc to ethernet and run it over a power line network to another converter that goes from ethernet to hdmi or something. Does hardware exist that allows me to do this? Are there other options? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Getting a/v signal from pc to tv in another room
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you only wanted to watch movies and TV, you could do this over wifi with an HD media streamer (I am assuming you have wifi).

To view the actual desktop would be more complicated though.

You could do it wirelessly with this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4318

Or you could do it over twisted pair with this:

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/about/ ... ?iNews=568

You are into $500+ dollars either way, and the second option assumes that you have twisted pair Cat5 or Cat6 already run point to point from PC to TV (note that it is not an ethernet based system, thus you cannot run it through routers or power line networking adapters). Also they do assume that you have audio piggy backing on the HDMI signal, which since you only have DVI outputs you would not be able to do, and would need a video card that will offer you HDMI out.