Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Workstations.. not the computers, but the actual furniture
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:19 pm 

Hi guys... I've read Maximum PC for ages (since the late 90's) and I don't quite remember seeing this as an article.

I'm in my early 30's, but I'm still using a desk from highschool for my computer desk, I'm sick of it. This desk has out-lived at least 8 computers, 5 moves from place to place, 4 cats, 2 dogs, and more late night WOW sessions than I care to admit to. It's gotten rickety, old, scuffed/scratched/nicked/dinged etc. and is now no longer useful for what I need it for... I have a small computer & network repair business, and I need to house 2 PC's, 2 24" widescreen monitors, a laptop or two, my iPod and iPad, a NAS, an Xbox and all my network goodies, and this desk just ain't cutting it. I can't be the only guy on earth that wants to see MaxPC test and evaluate the best out there.

I've seen the workbenches you use in a few podcasts and more than a few other people's 'battle stations', but I'd like to see an article on the best workstations/desks for the task and for the buck. I've looked into buying a Kendall & Howard Performance Series desk. At 96" the size and upright shelving is great and the casters are spot-on, but price is definitely... DEFINITELY prohibitive. I've also looked at cobbling together a Craftsman workbench and rolling cabinet, but I'm underwhelmed at the prospect of losing the upper shelves. Hell, if there's a budget build out there that you can do with steel/wood (a la Popular Mechanics or the race-gaming cabinet) I'd be game for it. I sort of thought you might do a hardware article on this, because it's probably the most over-looked but most used and longest lasting piece of computer related hardware any serious Geek will buy. The other thing is that you can even incorporate a bit of ergonomic information so you can fulfill your boy-scout requirement, and maybe prevent a few injuries in the offing.

I figure the Home-office user, modder, repair/LAN tech, and gamer will want different things out of their furniture.... and of course Mac users can pop their iMacs on a shelf and look at all the money they spent and couldn't get a bluray drive from the factory. (I'm just kidding... Well, sorta kidding... Macs don't have BRD's, yet cost more.)

I want to see this happen guys... Every other magazine I've read has passed this up, and you folks are good at hitting the spot that the other guys miss.

Thanks!