Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OC DDR2?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:16 am 

In my past experiences buildings PCs, I have stayed stock, but am building a new machine and would like to dive into the world of overclocking. I am planning on building a comp with a Intel 550 3.4GHz processor on a ASUS P5GD2 Premium motherboard. I have heard some mixed reviews though about DDR2 and was wondering what the overclocking capabilities were. It appears that there is some good potential, but the timings are still really high. From what I have researched already it appears that OCZ has the best DDR2 RAM, but I was interested in what other people have been trying and what kind of luck they have had overclocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

the preformince doesnt justify the cost but it overclocks like a mother, even the cheap stuff does mainly because of the low voltages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:02 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Top-of-the-line DDR2 has a much, much higher scalability than DDR could ever hope to reach. And in the world of the Intel FSB, the more gluttonous, the better. You should be focused on the FSB and as long as the memory timings are loose enough to let you unleash the potential of DDR2.

I wouldn't be suprised if Chumly or One4 popped their heads up in this thread. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i found some nice pc2 4200 ram by pdp, its got the lowest timings ive seen on DDR2 (3-2-2-4) i am not sure about there quality but ive heard p2p is better than most, plus its only 240 for 512 x 2, its what im looking at for my 925xe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:20 pm 

I would really be interested in seeing how PDP performs. Its hard to believe that they can crank out timings that much lower then everybody else. OCZ and Corsair have DDR2 at 3-2-2-8 and 3-3-3-8, but they are $100 more then PDP. That's not to say that you can't run DDR2 at the timings PDP is stating, but I don't know how stable it is yet, or how good the quality is of the PDP memory. OCZ and Corsair have pretty good reps and I have used them in the past, but not for overclocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:31 pm 

I had another question realted to overclocking. OCZ states that their DDR2 standard voltage is 2.0 to 2.2, while most other brands have 1.8. Would that hinder or help any attempt to overclock the RAM.

Just wondering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

OCNoob wrote:
I wouldn't be suprised if Chumly or One4 popped their heads up in this thread. ;)
Boo!

DDR2 had a bad rap at it's release due to nothing more than the high CAS timmings that DDR users were use to having so low. Not that it mattered, but even that is gone. People saw that DDR2 had 4 where their DDR could have 2 in those mysterious digits and simply said it sucked and never grounded the thought that it really didn't matter in this comarison. That's my opinion anyway. But standard DDR in use is 3200, and if you ramp it to DDR2's 4200, you'd find you're using looser timings too.

Driver Heaven
Quote:
DDR2 had quite an uneventful impact onto the scene with poor latencies and results compared to tighter performing DDR, all this has changed since the recent release of the wonderful corsair 5400 sticks.

So with all these high figures, why isnt DDR2 outperforming its older DDR counterpart? Well basically this is all down to latencies of the ram. tight DDR400 memory can operate at 7-2-2 CAS 2 while most 533mhz DDR2 operated at 12-4-4-CAS 4. The looser (higher) latencies have been counterbalancing the effective clock gains.

As OCZ state these modules post at 8-2-2-3 at 533mhz. slowly raising ram speeds i was able to maintain tight timings right up to 720mhz at 7-2-3-4! an awesome overclock for 533mhz rated ram. Higher speeds were possible but I found this figure gave the highest scores. In the picture below you can see a shot of mid testing results with memtest.
You can guess which brand I use ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:42 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Zircom wrote:
I had another question realted to overclocking. OCZ states that their DDR2 standard voltage is 2.0 to 2.2, while most other brands have 1.8. Would that hinder or help any attempt to overclock the RAM.

Just wondering?

Help! OCZ is geared towards the enthusiast, and thus warranties their higher end RAM for increased voltages. Increasing your DDR voltages can make the difference between a stable overclock and a BSOD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:24 am 

Thanks for the tips everybody. I will probably go with OCZ and will just have to play around with it to see what I can crank out. After I do some tests with my new system, I'll post another topic with the results. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

How much of a difference does OC'ing memory make? Does anyone have benchmarks to show it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:10 pm 

Kingthot wrote:
How much of a difference does OC'ing memory make? Does anyone have benchmarks to show it?

Look at the link that Chumly posted. http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/OCZ4200DDR2/ It shows a definte increase in benchmark tests. I don't know how much of an increase in everyday performance you would see, but overclocking the RAM is just a part of overclocking the rest of your system which is what I am doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:01 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Kingthot wrote:

Depends on how far you overclock. If you overclock a little, it will make a little difference. If you overclock heavily, the performance difference can be significant, depending on the overall system and task at hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just be careful and study up a bit. You can actually overclock so far and so high that you break the quantum P+ barrier and it loops your PC back into the unborn fetus state. Ashes to ashes...