Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1 problem and 1 annoyance
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 pm 

I have a win 7 machine with a Core 2 quad cpu at 2.83ghz and 4 gig of ram running 64 bit OS. My network adapter is a Intel 82567LM-3, for some reason my network adapter only shows up under device manager, task manager icon has red x in it. If i go to "change adapter settings" in network and sharing center, its empty. however i still have internet access. i noticed the problem when Logmein Hamachi wasn't working right. at the time it did show up as a connection under Network and sharing Center, but after un-installing and re-installing it doesn't. and its no longer listed as a device under network adapters in device manager. thats first thing i need help with. at wits end cant think of anything else.

Second thing is more of an annoyance, I have a display port to dvi adapter running 2 23" lcd monitors, the computer sees them as one monitor with a rez of 3360x1050 and works well except that every pop up appears in the center over the split between the monitors. Like when installing a program and you have to click next 10 times, drag the window off the split and click next and it pups right back over it again, is there any way to change the default location for pop ups, registry hack or something?

hope someone has some good ideas, thanks

Kirk

Post subject: Re: 1 problem and 1 annoyance
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:04 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

If the device manager doesn't list it, the device may be dead. Are you still getting on the net without it listed in Device Manager? I don't see how if it is not listed.

How old is the machine? Have you replaced the cmos battery if the machine is three years old or older?

Check in the bios and see if the device is shut off.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:11 pm 

No it is listed in device manager, but not in network and sharing center under the "change adapter settings" link. and yes the computer is still online but i'm affraid to uninstall the drivers and reinstall since when i did it with the hamachi drivers it wont show up in either location and not working. the computer is fairly new, built it about 2 months before win 7 came out. It was upgraded from vista to win 7.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:34 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Can you get your hands on a nic, plug it in with the power cord pulled of course. :wink: Then install driver for it and try to access the internet and the network with it. I think the on-board nic is having issues and may fail altogether.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 am 

Would be difficult to install a new NIC, no free slots at the moment, I was thinking the problem might be with a corrupt windows system file since under device manage it states the the device is working properly but wont show any new virtual drivers like hamanchi loads up during install. Is there a way to get windows to verify or validate its system files and DLL's?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:06 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Yes, go to the run box and type sfc /scannow and hit enter. Have your windows cd available in case the program asks for it.

What it does:

http://tinyurl.com/m7x7x

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am 

Thanks for the info, but sadly still no devices listed under network connections, even though i have a connection, its only showing up in device manager. the sfc /scannow ran its coarse, but i fell asleep and when i awoke the program had closed, guess it didnt find anything. so i'm still where i started.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You will have to remove a device and plug in a nic to see if the on-board nic is dieing.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 am 

ok after a lot of internet searches on my problem and i did find a lot of post from people with the same symptoms. But all the tips for fixing it were for win xp, or server 2003. In the end I did a clean install. I noticed a lot of the other post on various forums had a similar theme, people who did an upgraded from vista to win 7. Seems the upgrade process doesn't always go smoothly. Thanks for the suggestions , i do appreciate you taking your time to try and help.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas about my second problem with all the pop ups always on the split between my 2 monitors, any way to shift it over? somewhere there must be a setting telling it to display in center.