Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: looking for silent fans - 120mm :]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

anyone can recommend some silent fan selections?
looking to replace the fans on my hyper 212+ cooler.

i was pointed to this one already, but it looks hard to get my hands on them, so seeing if there are other great alternatives, thanks! =)

GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15

Post subject: Re: looking for silent fans - 120mm :]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I have the 212+ and went with 2 fans in push pull config I used this one SA1225FDB12H-P. If you get a y-adapter then you can hook both up to the CPU fan header. It is a PWM fan so the noise should stay at a minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

o cool thanks! looks like it's rated Noise Lvl in dB is similar to that other GELID fan i was pointed to, so i'll give this one a go instead :D!

not very familiar what PWM means, im assuming its some power-management thing that's associated with the mobo it's plugged into? im on an Asus P5Q SE/R mobo x:

either ways ima get this SYTHE KAMA fan and try it out, thanks! :]]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:22 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

No problem, glad to help! :D

P.W.M. is Pulse Width Modulation which basically means that when your CPU or case are getting hot and you MB senses it, the Fans RPMs get ramped up. When the CPU or case become cooler again, the RPMs get ramped down thereby reducing the level of noise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

If you still end up wanting the Gelid ones, the SKU is 21225-81 @ Rexus USA, you can contact them here:

Rexus Corp.
349 Paseo Tesoro
Walnut, CA 91789

Tel: 909-598-5551
Fax: 909-598-5515

sales@rexususa.com

info@rexususa.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:46 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Wiked_smart wrote:
I have the 212+ and went with 2 fans in push pull config I used this one SA1225FDB12H-P. If you get a y-adapter then you can hook both up to the CPU fan header. It is a PWM fan so the noise should stay at a minimum.

finally received and installed my new Scythe pwm fan... as per your recommendation :P

yes! it's definitely sOoOo much quieter than those "Cooler Master Silent Case Fans 4-Pack" geez.

too bad i only purchased 1 Scythe.. for 15bucks on a single fan, i wanted to check it out first before ordering more than 1.. hehe.
and yeah, i now only have 1 single fan (this Scythe) on my 212+ sink.

speaking of which, i am now assuming that because this is a PWM fan, it is that much pricier compared to other fans.. so my question is now, what fans would you/can you recommend for chassis fans? like for the other 5 or 6 120mm fans around my case that i wish to also replace with "quieter" options.. i don't think these fans necessarily have to be "PWM Fans" since they won't be plugging into any "cpu headers" ..

thanks in advance! and great thing with the Scythe, i really like it : D

now that that's quieter, i can totallyyy hear my dam video card fan now ... ugh... its even more annoying because it not only whirls and spins, it puts out a high humming sound.. at idle.. time to buy a new videocard!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:45 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

If you are going to get 5-6 fans I would expect a bit of noise since they would be on full bore all the time. I would say a fan controller would be good if you can't hook some of the fans up to fan headers that are controlled by the MB.
I have a few that I can recommend I just wish they were in the $8-$9 range but they all have good reviews behind them.
This Gelid is dustproff, waterproof, comes with is own controller and you can remove the fan blade for cleaning. It also has rubber/silicone mounts to eliminate fan vibration sounds. Its also 19.99 so its a bit pricey, on a side note it does have a 3yr warranty.
This one from Scythe gets good reviews and is a bit cheaper @ $16.99.
Another Scythe that is good but out of stock at Newegg is Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B4AP-14 120mm Case Fan @$16.99
The last one is from NoiseBlocker but again is a bit pricey and I have seen two different models here @$19.95 and one here @ $22.79
I guess it depends on how far you want to go to keep it silent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:06 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Im using the Scythe S-Flex on my rad. They are pretty quiet at idle using a fan controller but you can def hear them at full speed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Wiked_smart wrote:
If you are going to get 5-6 fans I would expect a bit of noise since they would be on full bore all the time. I would say a fan controller would be good if you can't hook some of the fans up to fan headers that are controlled by the MB.
I have a few that I can recommend I just wish they were in the $8-$9 range but they all have good reviews behind them.
This Gelid is dustproff, waterproof, comes with is own controller and you can remove the fan blade for cleaning. It also has rubber/silicone mounts to eliminate fan vibration sounds. Its also 19.99 so its a bit pricey, on a side note it does have a 3yr warranty.
This one from Scythe gets good reviews and is a bit cheaper @ $16.99.
Another Scythe that is good but out of stock at Newegg is Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B4AP-14 120mm Case Fan @$16.99
The last one is from NoiseBlocker but again is a bit pricey and I have seen two different models here @$19.95 and one here @ $22.79
I guess it depends on how far you want to go to keep it silent.

i'm realli loving the Scythe PWM fan :D
granted it's not absolutely silent, and does spin up a little at load, but it's doing an awesome job.. and probably once i straighten out the remaining fans, it will all come to a golden silence (or silver) :P

never thought Fans alone would/could be this costly...its like buying another whole entire ATX case to stick into my existing case.. e__e

this is actually my first time being this concerned with fan noise...i've tolerated it for 3 or 4 years now, its time i do something about it... each night i go to sleep, i put my rig to Sleep too, and boy you should hear the sigh of relief when the rig shuts down...its like i can actually hear people making babies 3 blocks away.

so yeah, just took a quick look at Fan controllers... i'm leaning towards this one Scythe KM02-BK..any comments? :]

this is my case P182, i have running 4 case fans, and then the proc fan which is the PWM fan thats hooked into the cpu header.. so i'm guessing a fan controller like that one i picked out that handles 4 fans would work well. and a readout panel is always handy :]]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:11 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I wish I could recommend one but I have no experience personally with one and all the ones on Newegg seem to run into issues. Try this site and see what you think. http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g34/c17 ... llers.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:44 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

magnumsrule wrote:
Im using the Scythe S-Flex on my rad. They are pretty quiet at idle using a fan controller but you can def hear them at full speed.

I'd be willing to bet the noise is more a product of air pushing through the rad, than from the fan itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Quote:
so yeah, just took a quick look at Fan controllers... i'm leaning towards this one Scythe KM02-BK..any comments? :]

I have used that fan controller and quite honestly hate it. I thought it being Scythe it would be a good make but I really disliked it. Maybe I had a bad experience but compared to the cheap Thermaltake unit I had before... well i went back to it and the scythe is sitting in a box somewhere. If I remember correctly when I was installing the scythe fans in my comp with the my new rad I threw in that fan controller and the fans would not even spin up...

@Bbies I guess that could be too. Like I said they go from near silent to a definite whirr.