Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 15 year subscriber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Been subscriber since 1998 and I was glad they moved away from the Commie Port LOL! I've gotten both the CD and Non-CD subscriptions. I like it with the CD better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:08 am 

I'd really like to see an online section updated monthly with the monthly contents listed and downloadable freeware/shareware items on the disc. You already have the blurbs with links to the home websites on the disc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:26 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Is the disc still necessary?

Maybe I should ask whether that is a question you guys (the editorial staff) revisit on a regular basis.

On the one hand, it may drive sales (?).

On the other, broadband penetration may have reached the point that most people are willing to download software trials rather than have them provided on disc. Yesterday, I downloaded nVidia's latest driver package .. over 100MB .. in a couple of minutes. The contents of a CD would download in less than half an hour for most people. Given that most content is (apparently) recycled month-to-month, is it still an effective vehicle for content?

I stopped buying the magazine on the stands because the price with CD is quite high and I don't need the CD. If the CD were removed and the price dropped, I'd be more likely to make an impulse buy when I see a new mag on the shelf.

Mostly, though, I'm curious to know whether this is something you guys discuss and whether you're willing to share the rationale with us. :)
Haven't read the thread yet, but just wanted to comment. Jip you and I are "lucky" in that we live in civilization. There are still lots of places that aren't all that "remote" that don't have proper high speed access.

Also, there is a subscription option without the disc, IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:57 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Also a DVD format might be better... especially if they were to include video (which would be a big selling point I think). Might make it easier to distribute game demos too since games are getting bigger and bigger with multi-gig installs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

I used to subscribe to the Mag+Disc, but as of probably about 4 years ago I changed to Mag only, because I never looked at the discs and they would just pile up. So I decided to save money, and space by switching to mag only. Everyone has their preference that's why there is a choice. I have no opinion of the disc either way, I just didn't have any use for the discs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh man this thread made me nostalgia so hard.

You guys remember 10 years ago when all you had was dialup and the MPC disc gave you a 350MB game demo? Firing up your newly built machine and installing some of the latest and greatest games (demos) with the best graphics around?

Fuck there were some Quake 3 engined games on there with green plasma weapons for the pew pew.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm 

urmumsacow wrote:
Oh man this thread made me nostalgia so hard.

You guys remember 10 years ago when all you had was dialup and the MPC disc gave you a 350MB game demo? Firing up your newly built machine and installing some of the latest and greatest games (demos) with the best graphics around?

Fuck there were some Quake 3 engined games on there with green plasma weapons for the pew pew.

Yep, I do remember...been a long time NetZero and AOL trial disc. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 am 

I guess I have 15 years of CDs now and many of them have never been read. I once thought of cataloging all of the programs, utilities and games across all of the CDs but haven't. I'm sure there are some redundancies or version changes. Right now, I have to load up dozens of CDs and search them looking for some utility that just may be what I need. Uses up a lot of time.

How about some sort of directory or catalogue where I can load all of these CDs onto a hard drive and the catalogue will tell me what ALL I have, break them out by utility, game or what ever?

That would be nice. Maybe someone already has sugh a tool!