Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spending time out of the country
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi. I have a Verizon Wireless Droid X, and I am planning on working in Germany for 3 months. I can't use my phone over there (it isn't a world phone), and I'm wondering what my options are. I'd like to maintain access to the internet (I'm not sure if Germany has tons of free wifi hotspots, but if it magically does, that would be best) over there, so I can use things like google translate on the go.

Should I get something from a german carrier? or should I do a verizon overseas plan?

I will use skype for most of my calling needs. I need the phone for things like maps/gps, google translate, other pda like stuff, and important calls. if the texting is cheap, I might text internationally back to america.

what do?

Post subject: Re: Spending time out of the country
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:36 am 

I went to Italy for a couple months, my company just let me borrow one of their company phones. It worked well enough. Most Italians spoke English very well, and I met more than a few Germans too. English is pretty much everyone's second language in most of Europe. Most people there speak several languages. If you really want to spend money though, just get a new verison phone that will work there. You can just have the overseas enabled when you need it.

Post subject: Re: Spending time out of the country
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:05 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

For future reference, I'd get a cheap quad band GSM phone then get a pre-paid SIM card from one of the German carriers.