Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NAS for Work
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:32 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

So I recently was moved to a new FOB here in Afghanistan, and acquired this wonderful network that they have set up. The Share drive system is amazing, it's a 32-bit Vista laptop with an external hdd attached, best thing ever.

Now that the sarcasm is out of the way I can get on to what I want to know. Seeing how my company will probably drag their feet on providing me a proper solution, what I'm looking at is this:

QNAP TS-219P+ and 2x 2TB HDD's in Raid 1

My concerns are that it is meant for a SOHO or Home use, and it might also not be able to support my needs. I have approximately 30-40 users that need access to it on a daily basis. Problems I'm sure you can already guess that I'm having know pertains to not being able to have more than 10 users logged onto the current setup now. I'm not too worried about the speed of transfer as long as it's not too slow to store changes to documents within a reasonable amount of time. Just need to be able to get all my user access simultaneously if need be.

Thanks for taking a look, and I appreciate any tips or suggestions you might have.

Post subject: Re: NAS for Work
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 pm 

Windows consumer-grade OSes are limited to 10 simultaneous inbound file sharing (SMB) connections (Win7 may have been increased to 20, not sure). It's been that way for a long time and there’s not much you can do about it (I’m not going to get into any hacking possibilities).

Of course, this assumes the NAS is connected to a Windows machine over USB, or maybe bridged over a network connection. IOW, Windows is still part of the NAS configuration on the file serving side. If the NAS is directly connected to the network, it shouldn’t be a problem unless the NAS is using a Windows consumer-grade embedded system (seems unlikely, most would typically use some version of Linux).

So you either have to upgrade to Windows server, use another protocol (e.g., FTP), or use another OS for your file server (e.g., Linux + SAMBA). Perhaps even run a Linux VM on the Vista laptop (again, if Windows is still in the picture). Basically, anything that avoids having Windows in the picture at the point of convergence should solve the problem.

Post subject: Re: NAS for Work
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Thanks, I was aware of the 10 user limit.....apparently the people in charge of purchasing the network equipment however are not. I have no idea why the would even implement a "File Server" using a laptop, let alone a 32-bit Vista laptop.

The NAS I'm looking at (QNAP TS-219P+ http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=182 , is running on Linux. It will not be attached to any Windows based equipment, but run directly through the switch and maintained via web interface.

But basically you answered my question....since its a Linux based NAS I should be fine.