Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Crazy POST beeps & monitor - computer boots into Windows
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:48 pm 

I just finished moving a computer from an old bulky crummy case into a nice Super Lanboy, it looks great and runs a ton quieter but I'm getting some weird stuff.

I formatted the drive and loaded windows before shutting down the old machine, then moved everything into the LanBoy and booted up. I'm getting lots of post beeps, they differ sometimes but heres the basic:

Turn on power, runs a little, monitor activated, 1 beep, monitor goes back into low power mode, computer still running.

I can't see anything, so I try hitting Delete - I get a bunch of beeps, usually short ones in bursts of four, but usually a good amount of groups of them, I'd guess around 4-8 groups of 4 beeps. When its all over, I wait another second and the monitor pops back on and the Windows XP loading bar is going, then it boots into windows!

The first couple times I turned the machine on I got some weird beeps and the monitor would turn off, but then if I hit the power button I got some more beeps, so I hit the power button again, got some more beeps, then the monitor came back on at the WinXP loading screen again.

Dunno what's going on, any advice would be great. Heres the specs:

Asus A7V266 Rev1.06mb
2x256 crucial ram
IBM Desktar 60gxp 40gb hdd
TNT2 AGP Video
Asus 52x CD-R
Plextor 16x24x48 CD-RW
SoundBlaster Live! soundcard

Thanks for your time, and hopefully for your help :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

what exaclty is "everything"

be more detailed on what you have done

1. re-seat video
2. re-seat RAM

the first beep is pretty normal. you can probably google beep codes and see your problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:41 pm 

By everything I mean I moved all those parts I listed into the new box, and I'm pretty sure I made the neccessary connections. The things I didn't connect were the front panel mic/headphone jacks, and front panel USB ports, but I didn't think that would really cause a problem.

I did google POST beep codes before posting and mostly for 3 or 4 short beeps it listed problem with the first 64k of system memory. Wasn't exactly sure what that meant. I did reseat video and I tried switching my Memory modules when I reseated them - same result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

does your motherboard manual say anything about the POST codes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:09 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

hmmm........try installing the chipset drivers for the mobo if you havent already. you can do a bios flash if you can too. try reseating the cpu if you havent tried that yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:10 am 

Thnx I'll give that stuff a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

do you have the ability to update your BIOS?

get the files on a floppy from another computer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:40 pm 

I re-seated vid and memory again, but along with the processor this time, haven't tried a BIOS update yet but might have to. This time I did notice as it beeped the screen would flash and the message that looked like just finished on the BIOS was "Updated ESC Successfully". Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:21 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Hmm...

You could try pulling the battery out (you'll have to redo all your BIOS settings though) and then let it sit for 5 minutes (remember to pull the power cord before pulling the battery).

It sounds like your BIOS has gone a little funky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Runnermike,

I would start from scratch, I know it is a pain. Take the motherboard out of the case and put it in the box it came in, then plug in the power, video card, one stick of ram, hard drive and the power switch plug. See if it goes to windows with no trouble. If it does, add the other stick of ram, again reboot, if all goes well you had a short while the motherboard was installed. If it messes up with the second stick of ram, it is that stick of ram that is bad, and not a short. Before you do all this check the ram with this app:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4226.html

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Runnermike,

I would start from scratch, I know it is a pain. Take the motherboard out of the case and put it in the box it came in, then plug in the power, video card, one stick of ram, hard drive and the power switch plug. See if it goes to windows with no trouble. If it does, add the other stick of ram, again reboot, if all goes well you had a short while the motherboard was installed. If it messes up with the second stick of ram, it is that stick of ram that is bad, and not a short. Before you do all this check the ram with this app:

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:54 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Runnermike,

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:55 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Runnermike,

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:21 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Please read the forum announcements for today!

One hit on "Submit" will do, even though it may seem like it doesn't post. Refresh the page and look...it should be there.