Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sines/Cosines
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Note: This isn't mine, but he poses a very interesting, and (therefore?) good question:

The characters are botched because maxpc doesn't support them, so here's the link:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthre ... post568054

Donut wrote:
so iv been playing super metroid lately, and as some of you know, there is a weapon called the wave beam in that game. the graphic for it is basically a cosine wave (technically its a sine wave in super metroid, but whatever). it got me thinking about the math behind graphing cosines at an angle for 360 degree wave beam firing. i know how to get the cosine curve straight up or straight forward, but not at an angle.

this is f(x) = cos(x). this is more or less what the wave beam looks like shooting straight forward.

this is as close to what i have gotten. basically, i just added a linear function to the cosine function where the slope of the linear function is an angle of my choosing
f(x,θ) = cos(x) + (tan(θ)*x) where θ is the angle i want the curve at
this is both ugly, and not what i want. the green line is the linear function i added

this is what im looking for. i just rotated the first image 45 degrees in gimp. θ is the angle the wave is tilted

what i want to know is the mathematical function that generates a cosine wave that looks like the third image. i want to implement this into a little sprite game im working on, but i dont know the math to put it at an angle. iv toyed with the idea of using f(x) = cos(x) and just tilting the result, but i dont really know how to program that either, but what im mainly looking for is the math behind a tilted cosine graph.

before anybody lmgtfy's me, i asked google, and google didnt know. i asked one of my teachers, and he didnt know, so HE asked google, and google still didnt know.

Post subject: Re: Sines/Cosines
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Rotation of 45 degrees ccw is
(x,y) → ((x/sqrt2)-(y/sqrt2)),((x/sqrt2)+(y/sqrt2))

I'm not sure what language you are programming in, so a bit of pseudocode

int x, y
x=sinwavex()
y=sinewavey()
x=((x/sqrt2)-(y/sqrt2))
y=((x/sqrt2)+(y/sqrt2))

not sure if this is the best solution, but it should work
at least it did in wolfram alpha
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Ro ... Pi%2F4%2C+{0%2C+0}%5D%5B{x%2C+sin%28x%29}%5D