Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thom Davis's Seizure Computer/Desk question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:34 am 

Does anybody have link to a build log or something for Tom Davis's Seizure Computer/desk that was in the magazine a while ago? I want to build a custom power distribution strip so I can individually turn any of my monitors, computer and other stuff on my desk on and off. I want to see how he wired up his switches and what gauge wire, etc he used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:28 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Looking at the switch panel as seen here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... izure_ever

I see he used Red color spade lug connectors, the wire looks to be pretty light stuff. Considering the connectors used the wire should be AWG 22 - 18 and I would guess those wires (towards the front) to be maybe AWG 18 at best. Good for about 5 Amps or at 120 VAC a load maximum of about 600 Watts. No clue what his switches are rated at.

Next, though the switches look good I can't really see any merit to them. Sort of a bells & whistles affair. When most monitors (flat panel) lose power they need to be turned on again from their front panel switch. Needless to say the same holds true for the PC. Therefore I just don't see much merit to a switch basically in series with the power switches on the product?

What exactly did you have in mind?

You need to figure out your maximum load for each branch circuit then base your wire gauge (AWG) on those loads.

AWG 12 (20 Amps) or 2,400 Watts
AWG 14 (15 Amps) or 1,800 Watts
AWG 16 (10 Amps) or 1,200 Watts

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Ron, I am not sure if that is always true. My grandpa turns his computer on and off with a power strip. Granted, it is an older PIII that says "Safe to turn off.." but the monitor is an LCD flat panel.

I do think the switches are mostly for show, BUT if you had a master switch with everything connected to it, you could reduce your power consumption dramatically.

I am more interested in the design and construction of the desk portion itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:05 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Quote:
Ron, I am not sure if that is always true. My grandpa turns his computer on and off with a power strip. Granted, it is an older PIII that says "Safe to turn off.." but the monitor is an LCD flat panel.

Oh I agree Crash. I well recall the old "It is now safe to turn off your comoputer". Interesting also, with moniotors. Sitting here at work I removed power from my Dell FP. Just yanked the plug. Plugged it back in (waiting about 10 seconds) and it immediately came back on without a need to push the power button. I tried that at home on one of my Samsung FP monitors and needed to hit the monitor power button to get it to return on. :? I guess some will and some won't.

Though not for some time I remember seeing outlet strips (more like blocks) with switched outlets on them. Some marked like Computer, Monitor, Printer and the like.

Now again and just me personally I would not have gone about the switch panel the way the author did. I would have added more "beef" in my connections. I would have used switches with either screw or solder connections. I would not have used AWG 18 (Largest gauge that can be used with the red colored spade lugs).

The furniture aspect looked very sweet and impressive. Interesting alcove sort of design from what I saw.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Unless they switch relays. Then it would be fine. It is probably the safer way to go anyway rather than a direct connection.

I am thinking about modifying my design and adding a white board in the open area he has behind his monitors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:31 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

I think the biggest problem with this whole thing in general is the lack of information in general. There is apparently no "Build Log" or listing of components in general. There is nothing as to budget either. That sort of sucks. I see a switch panel with no schematic or much of anything to support the design?

OK to be perfectly honest looking at the switch panel I see shit wiring. Sorry but I design and build control panels. Maybe the switches do control relays but I sure as hell don't know? Maybe SSRs but again I don't know?

What I see is a nice chunk of furniture with little to no explenation of much else as to power distribution? I see the comment to the effect the entire mess is supported by UPS and again no explenation? What I see lacking schematics and explenation is a collection of bullshit from an engineering standpoint. Nice woodwork from a wood standpoint but little more.

Just My Take
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Yeah, a build log and list of materials would be nice to have.

Post subject: Re: Thom Davis's Seizure Computer/Desk question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 am 

Sorry it took me years to find this post. In short those are low voltage switches running solid state relays to drive 110v systems. here is a rough build log: https://picasaweb.google.com/woundedbadgers/Siezure#. I'll try to rememeber to check this board again :mrgreen: soon. Thanks, -Thom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Hi Thom (on the chance you come back this way)

It would be nice if a new thread were started and the build explained in some detail, for example SSR & switches part numbers and where interested members could purchase the parts. Additionally suggestions for a slimmed down version. Generally threads over 30 days old are considered dead around here but I (and I am sure some others) might enjoy a new thread with the images and a build parts list.

Thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:07 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

+1 on that