Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win7 doesn't ID net thru Powerline sets Public not home
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello folks....

Ok....here's my issue...and I've come to find out I'm not the only one suffering. Using Windows 7 I have set up a Powerline network that until recently was working fine. I had it running no issue with WinXP. When I first installed Win7 in all my PCs ( I have 4 home built systems in the house) the Powerline network worked fine , on the 2 pcs that use it ( 2 are hard wired to the router/switch).

As far as the network goes the PCs are visible to one another, so the adapters ( Netgear XET1001 ) are working.

Now the PCs affected don't see the internet and defaults to Public network. I had it set up for Home Network originaly. I've uninstalled the network adapter from one PC ( as a test ) and reinstalled it with the correct drivers...no success. I've assigned the IPv4 IP address, gateways and such manually...no success.

I'm widening my search for a solution. I have looked at Netgears forum...no joy. Hope that some one here has seen this and may have a few suggestions.

the specs for the affected PC...

Foxconn mobo A7VMX-k
Built in LAN = Realtek 10/100/1000mbps
win7 sp1

Asus M2N-SLI ( the older mobo of the 2)
Built in LAN = nVidia nforce560 gigabit MAC
Win7 sp1

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Win7 doesn't ID net thru Powerline sets Public not home
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 am 

If it's defaulting to Public network, then that's the problem. That erects a firewall preventing access. Change them to Home network.

Post subject: Re: Win7 doesn't ID net thru Powerline sets Public not home
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

eibgrad wrote:
If it's defaulting to Public network, then that's the problem. That erects a firewall preventing access. Change them to Home network.

I tried that several times to no success. BUT I seem to have stumbled upon a solution.
Been a Powerline network I believe I may have pushed the envelope with one PC to many drwaing power from the same circuit in the house. I unplugged a seldom used PC ( used for net video streaming ) form the outlet and low and behold the connections worked and the internet gateways and all is identified.

So the network is now working properly. After aal my struggles...I just had to unplug the extra power draw.

Go figure. I have to look into this some more.

:)