Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AN ULTIMATIM & CONTEST... Attention Rank 5,000+ Folders!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Attention all folders, rank 5,000+:

Nobody likes to be passed. And currently, there is more to be concerned with than the fact that me and Lunky are gaining on many of you:

MaximumPC, team #11108 is shortly going to be passed also if we, the folders and team members do not do something soon. It is up to you to decide on whether or not you wish to participate in getting us back on the track needed to stay afloat - or to stay in a position of superiority.

Please consider amping it up a bit. I understand the constraints of energy bills and the like, especially where Folding comes into scrutiny for the part it plays in making it harder to make ends meet. If you have been dormant in folding efforts, I encourage you to come out of dormancy if you can.

Fold On!!!

:mrgreen:

Last edited by thejake490 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AN ULTIMATIM & CONTEST... Attention Rank 5,000+ Folders!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Saying I can get it all hammered out, there is going to be a contest for folders who have just started, rank 5000 or above. I am in the process of determining the best way to coordinate the logistics of the whole thing, but the general idea of the contest is this:

Rules:

All entrants must be ranked 5,000 to 7,000. (So that everyone who enters has a good chance of winning, and who have been established somewhat in team MPC - 11108).
All entrants must provide proof that they are who they say they are. (More on this later and/or when the contest starts).
No current folder with a rank higher than 5,000 (ex. 4,999) may enter because this is to encourage new folders - have some honor.
More to come I am sure...

The Prize:

One XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB Used and in good working order.
(The entrant must also have access to the hardware swap & sell to be eligible).

I will have more deets and the specifics of the contest when everything gets hammered down. I welcome suggestions and help in the realms of rules, logistics, and other things which require the use of more than just my two hands and witty goofiness.

Stay Tuned and FOLD ON!!!

AS A LAST NOTE: If you are a folder for team MPC and are ranked between 7,000 and the last on the list (#11,749 at last glance), you have time to get to rank 7,000 before the contest, entry period and deadline are set!!! What are you waiting for? FREE Graphics? You have to work for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Intriguing, Jake! Sounds like a few details to work out, but I hope some folders take up the challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:07 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well Done, Jake.

Thanks for the enthusiasm you've had since day one of your folding career.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I have read MaximumPC magazine for a long time but never had the hardware until recently to do anything more than surf the internet and play Age of Empires II on the odd occasion when work was slow - both things have changed a lot now. I no longer am limited by a slow computer, which is nice. But I also have no real time for my fast computer....meh. What to do...

The I thought of FAH because I had read the occasional mention of it in the magazine and the rest is straight out of a 12-Step program...ROFL. SO...

The way I figure it, we need some serious gamers with some decent hardware on the team and the best way I know of how to get them is with free goodies. Besides, we don't have a lot of time left before we become supplanted by a lesser team. I am getting the GSO for free so it seemed only right to send it off on it's way for free. I am getting about 2500-3200 PPD from it which should be a decent award for whoever wins this thing.

The trouble is, I do not have the resources to coordinate the entries and qualifications of each of the entrants.

Meh...minor details. Right? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 am 
Million Club
Million Club

I had wanted to make the 9600 GSO available for the contest, but the issue is that there is more work involved in doing a contest of that sort than one person is capable of doing. This had been an open issue and I was willing to accept help from any quarter, but there have been to responses and/or offers to help from anyone on the forum, so the contest has been canceled until further notice.

Maybe some time in the future. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

So, a current folder above the threshold can donate to a new folder and that person donated toward still qualifies? Who needs a boost!?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Cool idea Jake!

You should be able to get a mod to help you out with this, coordination and such. Keeping threads neat and tidy.

Over on the Firefall forums me and another fellow ran a community run fan art contest and game related story writing contest. We had two sets of prizes (1st, 2nd, 3rd) for each contest, Red 5 (game developer) put up game related loot for prizes, I threw in a video card and HAWX 2 game code, and the other put in two $20 paypal gifts for winners. We got help from a mod and the community manager setting up threads and keeping entries sorted, we had 5 judges nominated from the community. It was a great success! Really fun too :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

The GSO started to artifact mildly. That,
combined with the fact that I have had
no offers for help for the entire time this
thread has been open, has all but quelched
my ambitions of actually doing this. :(

@Chumly - No. lol That would be almost
entirely against the point: Get the newest
folders to fold like some of our oldest, highest
producing folders. Not give them free hardware