Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: home network setup
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 am 

Hey guys, long time listener, first time poster :-P

I am rebuilding my home network. Here is my goal.
To rip and stream my entire dvd/blu-ray and music collection to all of my computers in my house simultaneously as well as backup, and negotiate my home automation (soon to be, anyway), and work as my dhcp, and if possible, ftp, etc.

Right now, I have a computer I just built specifically for WHS. I am not sure if I should install Vail or WHS? Anyway, I also have an HTPC that I use for my television needs, except television since I have DirecTV and I haven't found a tv tuner card that works with DirecTV.

So, I guess the questions I have are:
1. Do I store all of my media on the HTPC or the server?
2. Do I set the server directly to my modem, then the wireless router behind the server, or do I traditionally set the Modem>Router>Server?
3. Should I use Vail or WHS? :-P

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: home network setup
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

1. Completely up to you. My media is on my HTPC; but, that was in place before I built my WHS. I just didn't feel like changing it (plus, the HTPC has more storage than that WHS can ever have.)
2. Modem>Router>Server (and clients.) In terms of networking, it's just another PC.
If its outside of the router, it loses the protection that the router's NAT firewall provides. And, said firewall (if the server were outside of it) would make server/client communication rather impossible. ;)
3. Up to you. Vail does add a lot of features & functionality, but it does lose a major feature: Drive Extender. I won't upgrade to Vail until someone comes up with a viable replacement for DE.

WHS isn't meant to be a DHCP server. Can it do this? Yes (with a third-party add-in.) But, not 'stock.' I don't know if Vail makes it easy (read: supported); I'd imagine that the answer is still 'no', though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 am 

cup wrote:
1. Completely up to you. My media is on my HTPC; but, that was in place before I built my WHS. I just didn't feel like changing it (plus, the HTPC has more storage than that WHS can ever have.)
2. Modem>Router>Server (and clients.) In terms of networking, it's just another PC.
If its outside of the router, it loses the protection that the router's NAT firewall provides. And, said firewall (if the server were outside of it) would make server/client communication rather impossible. ;)
3. Up to you. Vail does add a lot of features & functionality, but it does lose a major feature: Drive Extender. I won't upgrade to Vail until someone comes up with a viable replacement for DE.

WHS isn't meant to be a DHCP server. Can it do this? Yes (with a third-party add-in.) But, not 'stock.' I don't know if Vail makes it easy (read: supported); I'd imagine that the answer is still 'no', though.

Thanks!
I was going through the configuration on Vail, and Vail actually does support the DHCP, FTP, and other IIS services natively. The only reason I was considering WHSv1 was because of the add-ins that are available at the moment, and because it would be some time before Vail gets the add-in support.

My server has 8TB (2x3TB and 1x2TB HDD) of space and my HTPC has 1TB. But I can always reconfigure... But since there is more than one of us that will be accessing the media at any given time, I figured that storing the media on the server would make more sense; at least in my configuration.

As far as the firewall goes, I was actually thinking of building my own hardware firewall... like have an old pentium or laptop loaded with Pfense or Astaro or something. So, I could be looking at modem>router>firewall>server>clients....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

kwilkins9 wrote:
As far as the firewall goes, I was actually thinking of building my own hardware firewall... like have an old pentium or laptop loaded with Pfense or Astaro or something.

You're actually talking about a software solution at that point, not hardware.

kwilkins9 wrote:
So, I could be looking at modem>router>firewall>server>clients....

If you actually purchased the hardware appliance, then yes, otherwise you may be looking at configuring 2 or more different NICs at that machine. Not exactly a light topic, but not to difficult either. Some solutions will allow you to use a single NIC, so just attaching it to your switch is all you need to do, and you're back to Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Servers/PCs/Firewall Box