Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PSU Cable Sleeving
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have found some good guides over at the EVGA forums and it looks pretty cool. Im trying to find some suppliers for the materials but cant find a good selection any ware. The site that they suggest is MDPC-X. They seem to have quality stuff, but they are located in Europe which means shipping is fairly high. So, anyone here know of a good similar site?

Post subject: Re: PSU Cable Sleeving
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:26 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I get my cable sleeving stuff from frozencpu.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

frozencpu.com, as suggested above, or:
xpcgear.com
xoxide.com
crazypc.com
mnpctech.com
mountainmods.com

Honestly, there are so many out there. I'm surprised you can't find one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well I shouldnt say I couldnt find one. Just not one that looked to be of the same quality.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The ONLY difference I can see, is the quality and care taken in the photography of the products. Doesn't mean they're superior quality products, just more kickass photo quality.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Also, if you want to individually sleeve, get ready for a lot of really tedious work. I individually sleeved a PSU once- way too much work, I just buy individually sleeved extenders for a couple bucks instead, they work great if you have plenty of room behind your motherboard tray.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:06 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Yeah I wouldnt doubt its kinda a long slow process. Sure looks nice though. So from the different places in the states which brands are the best? What is your favourite? If someone one has pictures of a psu that they did that would be great! I think im just going to build extensions, not actually sleeve the psu cables. That way if I upgrade I wont have to do it all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:54 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
The ONLY difference I can see, is the quality and care taken in the photography of the products. Doesn't mean they're superior quality products, just more kickass photo quality.

I have worked with both FrozenCPU's stuff and MDPC-X's stuff and I must say MDPC sleeving is by far a much better quality. They are also different types; FrozenCPU and MDPC use a different braid from each other. MDPC also covers more FrozenCPU.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

whelderwheels613 wrote:
I have worked with both FrozenCPU's stuff and MDPC-X's stuff and I must say MDPC sleeving is by far a much better quality. They are also different types; FrozenCPU and MDPC use a different braid from each other. MDPC also covers more FrozenCPU.

Hmm, if I ever get the chance to, I'll hafta check that out. It's not anywhere near obvious in the pics though, just appears to be a fancier way of advertising their product. I applaud the photographer(s) though, lol. I like the FrozenCPU stuff, it works well. Idk how one kind can "cover more" than another either, since you order it by length and cable thickness. Also, best I can see, comparing the MDPC's braiding to that of FrozenCPU, yes they do use a different braid, though I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

On a side note, has anyone tried making their own sleeving, not necessarily braided nylon, but maybe leather or something? I know when I first started, years ago, a friend of mine taught me how to do it using electrical tape, which worked nicely for awhile, but over time the adhesive got messy and it was a royal bitch to clean when I went to take the tape off. I'm thinking about maybe sewing some sleeving, for the ultimate custom appearance. Also, I've taken to using this as well, and it seems to work marvelously, as long as you use a lot of patience with it. It helps with smaller wires especially. Yes, I'm talking about a complete wrap, not just a quick tie-off. I only recently found black spools, but I'm satisfied with green, especially since where I live, I can get it at a flea market for dirt cheap.

Had the chance to take a pic for you:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

When I sleeved my PSU, I just bought appropriately sized nylon braided sleeve and heatshrink off the shelf of my local hardware stores. I bought large enough diameter that I didn't have to take the connectors off(1), which saved an incredible amount of time and hassle.. Ended up about 2 hrs of time and looked as good as anything that comes pre-sleeved.

(1) for the motherboard power connector, you can slide it through sideways so that it fits through an appropriate diameter sleeve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

There are cheaply-priced tools to do the connectors, that's what I made and use, additionally the real issue is when you do a 20-24-pin connector, it gets confusing, so be patient.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Alternatively, there is also:

Plasti-dipThere are other brands, of course. Sometimes you can find the same stuff marketed as "liquid" electrical tape. Contrary to the name, dipping isn't the only application method and it can be "painted" onto the wire. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store. I have used it to seal the ends of sleeves, instead of shrink wrap. If you coated the entire length of wiring in it, it would likely be about as flexible as shrink wrapping the entire thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well looking at the prices of the extensions it is pretty hard to beat those prices. I will have to give it some thought on what I want to do. I might throw one of the pre-sleeved cables in if I have an order of other things just to see for myself what it looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
Mod edit: No, you might not suggest anything like that. Not when you are obviously trying to advertise your website. I am sure your products are fine, but this isn't the sort of thing we do here. Consider this your warning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:38 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

ftwpc.com wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
Mod edit: No, you might not suggest anything like that. Not when you are obviously trying to advertise your website. I am sure your products are fine, but this isn't the sort of thing we do here. Consider this your warning.

"memberating" is terms for a ban there buddy. Just to let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:05 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

graydiggy wrote:
ftwpc.com wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

"memberating" is terms for a ban there buddy. Just to let you know.

Apparently you didn't see that Crash is a moderator then, correct? It's his duty to do things like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:04 pm 

Hi guys

I read the Cable Sleeving Guide thread and Im in PTA and Id like to know where I can get good cable sleeves from. Im looking for some neon colours for the cables inside my case and normal spiral cable sleeves, like the kind Verimark advertises on TV. Or anything that sorts out cables but looks good too would be nice.

So where do you guys source all your cable management stuff from?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 pm 

well finally i bought the Corsair 1050w PSU.

Just a question.

All my PC is connected to a dimmer. Its a good idea to connect that PSU to the battery of the dimmer or better in the power outlet of the wall?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i just ran out of heatshrink from MDPC that i bought earlier this year, and bent my pin removal tool. it is expensive stuff, but if you buy stuff in bulk from MDPC, it can be worth it. i spent almost 600$ i think on stuff so far.

i am still learning how to control the heat, as to get the perfect heatshrink look on it. i have sleeved 3 power supplies by myself so far, and eventually you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I ended up getting a Corsair AX 1200 which has all black cables and looks pretty sharp. I may still try sleeving one day when I have some spare money.