Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm
Posts: 42
Did anyone else feel a little offended by this months "Game Theory"? (i.e. March 2011, "The FCC: Stuck in Neutral") Mr. McDonald is entitled to his political views but does he really need to spout them in a technology magazine? He tried to veil his right wing rantings in the context that it might effect PC gamers, but then goes on to admit that PC gaming requires very little bandwidth and is not really the target of this net neutrality stuff anyway. So in the end the article really had nothing to do with PC gaming and everything to do with Mr. McDonald using the space to push his, obviously partisan, views onto readers who just want to read about technology.

Like I said he's entitled to his political opinions, but a magazine like MaximumPC hardly seems like the the place to express them. I suggest that in the future he stick to PCs and technology for his MaximumPC articles and leave the political commentary for more appropriate venues.

Dan


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:54 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
That's what an editorial is... where an editor expresses his personal opinions over a subject and it doesn't reflect the opinions that the magazine in general holds.
Also, it needs to be said that liberals are generally pro net-neutrality, not conservatives.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:38 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:29 am
Posts: 6122
Location: Huntsville, Alabama.
Spartacus wrote:
Also, it needs to be said that liberals are generally pro net-neutrality, not conservatives.


I wouldn't quite say Thomas' editorial was completely anti-NN, but it was 'eh, we don't truly need it'.

I don't agree with his opinion though. Not because I view it as right or left wing, but because without true competition the market will never adjust itself to the side of the consumer.

Where I live I can get one broadband ISP provider, Knology cable. I can't even get AT&T DSL!

Thankfully Knology isn't horrible, but if they were, I wouldn't have any sort of choice.

Comcast is the other provider in our city, but they don't offer it in my direct area.

For whatever reason AT&T doesn't care about us. The apartment complex is only two years old now.

In my opinion if I had a choice between two or three cablecos as well as two or three DSL providers then the corporations would do their best to keep me happy.

But with current laws that will never happen.

n0b0dykn0ws


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm
Posts: 42
Spartacus wrote:
Also, it needs to be said that liberals are generally pro net-neutrality, not conservatives.


If you read the article you'll see that Mr. McDonald is anti net neutrality, which is why I concluded he was a conservative. He clearly says that the purposed FCC regulations which force ISPs to give fair billing to all packets is "over stepping" and that ISPs should be left alone to do whatever they see fit for their business.

While I disagree, I really wasn't trying to start a political debate. He is entitled to his opinion. I was simply pointing out that the pages of Maximum PC, a technology magazine, may not be the best place to express such political opinions. Mr. McDonald should stick to complaining about/praising the latest PC games, and leave the political commentary for the national news papers and 24 hour news channels.

Dan


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Posts: 35
Dan203 wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
Also, it needs to be said that liberals are generally pro net-neutrality, not conservatives.


If you read the article you'll see that Mr. McDonald is anti net neutrality, which is why I concluded he was a conservative. He clearly says that the purposed FCC regulations which force ISPs to give fair billing to all packets is "over stepping" and that ISPs should be left alone to do whatever they see fit for their business.

While I disagree, I really wasn't trying to start a political debate. He is entitled to his opinion. I was simply pointing out that the pages of Maximum PC, a technology magazine, may not be the best place to express such political opinions. Mr. McDonald should stick to complaining about/praising the latest PC games, and leave the political commentary for the national news papers and 24 hour news channels.

Dan


I'm sure the MaxPC editors appreciate you telling them what they should and should not print in their magazine. Especially since you own it.

Oh, wait - what's that? You don't own it?

If he were discussing the merits of butter vs. margarine, you might have a point. But he's giving his opinion of something to do with computing in a computing magazine. If you don't like the fact that this is happening, I suggest you put MaximumPC down and pick up a magazine that better suits your idea of what a magazine should be. There's usually quite a few of them on the rack.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:33 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Dan203 wrote:
I was simply pointing out that the pages of Maximum PC, a technology magazine, may not be the best place to express such political opinions.


I disagree.

A technology magazine, staffed by experts in the field, is the best place for this type of discussion.

Similarly, discussions of censorship (of video games), tariffs on hardware imports and other technology-related political subjects are best addressed by experts and to people interested in the field (MPC's target audience).

So long as it is clearly editorial content, I'm happy to see this in the magazine.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:42 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm
Posts: 42
FunkySquirrel wrote:
I'm sure the MaxPC editors appreciate you telling them what they should and should not print in their magazine. Especially since you own it.

Oh, wait - what's that? You don't own it?

If he were discussing the merits of butter vs. margarine, you might have a point. But he's giving his opinion of something to do with computing in a computing magazine. If you don't like the fact that this is happening, I suggest you put MaximumPC down and pick up a magazine that better suits your idea of what a magazine should be. There's usually quite a few of them on the rack.


No reason to get so snarky. I was simply giving feedback on an article that I didn't like because, in my opinion, it was a little too overtly political for a tech magazine. I wasn't demanding anything or ordering them to do anything, I was simply expressing my opinion in a section of the forum designed for exactly that. If you disagree that's fine, but there is no reason to devolve into childish sarcasm.

As for your comment about putting down Maximum PC and picking up something else... First off I'm not the type of guy to stop reading a whole magazine because of one bad article. If Mr. McDonald continues to write about his political opinions, rather then PC games, then I may start skipping his column, but I'm not going to cancel my subscription over it. Secondly, you're wrong about there being a lot of choices in this space. As far as I know there are only two magazines available for hard core PC enthusiast... Maximum PC and CPU ...both of which I already have a subscription to. All the other PC related magazines have either gone out of print or been dumbed down to the point where they're no longer of interest to me. (i.e. PC World)

Dan


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm
Posts: 42
Jipstyle wrote:
I disagree.

A technology magazine, staffed by experts in the field, is the best place for this type of discussion.

Similarly, discussions of censorship (of video games), tariffs on hardware imports and other technology-related political subjects are best addressed by experts and to people interested in the field (MPC's target audience).

So long as it is clearly editorial content, I'm happy to see this in the magazine.


Thanks for being civil in your disagreement. :)

I agree that the initial subject matter is relevant to the readers of this magazine. However I don't agree with how Mr. McDonald reported on the subject with such an obvious political leaning. I guess I just expect a technology magazine like MPC to be more unbiased on these types of subjects and report the facts not their personal political opinions. But then again I'm a computer programmer, so what do I know about running a magazine? :)

Dan


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did MaximumPC turn into Fox News?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Dan203 wrote:
Thanks for being civil in your disagreement. :)


It is Valentine's Day .. I'm in a good mood. ;)

Quote:
I agree that the initial subject matter is relevant to the readers of this magazine. However I don't agree with how Mr. McDonald reported on the subject with such an obvious political leaning. I guess I just expect a technology magazine like MPC to be more unbiased on these types of subjects and report the facts not their personal political opinions. But then again I'm a computer programmer, so what do I know about running a magazine? :)

Dan


Yep, that's fair.

If the story was presented as anything other than editorial (ie, opinion) content, I'd completely agree with you. But since it is an editorial, I don't mind a bit of political grandstanding .. I much prefer it to the alternative, which seems to be technically illiterate pundits in major magazines and newspapers blathering on about the Intertubes and other things that they just do not understand.

Thankfully, it is just one column. There is a columnist whose work always rubs me the wrong way and I just turn the page .. even I can't expect the magazine to cater exclusively and entirely to my needs / opinions. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group