Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Article for mag?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

So with Drive Extender going away in WHS vail, how about the mag do an article on some of the different choices people have to DE.

I've hear some people are looking at FlexRAID. Some people are looking at Unraid (this seems to have some points for streaming movies which is why I'm looking at it). A few people are turning to SAS.

... SAS drives are crazy expensive. But, the connections are interchangable with SATA, which means you can hook CHEAP sata drives to awesome sata controllers. SAS drives are built for servers... so the SAS controllers are cheap compared to some. Example... 8 port SATA card from Highpoint is 350 bucks...ouch. 8 Lane SAS card from Supermicro 110 dollars....very nice...and still supports sata. Makes it pretty easy but you still cant mix and match drives like you can with DE....but its a solution

There are other solutions that can deal with raid: Qnap will online expand raid, and Drobo will work with different drive sizes too.

Drobo might be planning on doing something http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/12/10/d ... xperience/

Post subject: Re: Article for mag?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I agree. If not the mag, then in the forums.

Why not real RAID and why does DE's extraction mean the end to Vail? I just think you build a server counting RAID in from the start; DE being gone is the noob portion of "home server". If you build a server, hot-swapping is a given. Can you rebuild arrays without Windows? Yes, and we do that on desktops.

I like Vail. The end of DE doesn't mean the home server is dead. Maybe for Grandma, but not us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

They could throw raid in the mix as well. But I was looking at how with DE you could just add drives of any size to the pool. With a raid they need to be the same. There was also something to be said about supporting family members with DE rather than having them use raid. I know that UnRAID can add in different sized drives. But your right most readers of MaxPC can do a raid setup (or if not learn too :D ).

Heck if they need to make it into a how to build something maybe they can build this UnRAID machine. http://lime-technology.com/products/rb-1200-server

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:39 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Amahi might be another one to look at.