Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: DirectX C++ development being killed by MS?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 pm 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: No. 1 Thread Killer
I've recently gotten really interested in DirectX, and been following this guy's tutorials: http://www.directxtutorial.com/Tutorial ... dx9B7.aspx

Something I've noticed, however, while doing this, is that it seems like Microsoft has been deliberately trying to kill C++ game development on Windows. Honestly, it's really irritating to me as a person who knows how valuable C++ is to any competent developer out there.

As a reference, I took the documentation for the DX 9.0 2004 and compared them:

Image

I for one don't care for this move because of how absolutely key C++ is, and has been in the past for development. Especially with the ability to, if needed, port the code to other systems with other compilers.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DirectX C++ development being killed by MS?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24224
Location: Granite Heaven
Dwood15 wrote:
Especially with the ability to, if needed, port the code to other systems with other compilers.


Pretty much answered your own question there, didn't ya?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DirectX C++ development being killed by MS?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:53 pm 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: No. 1 Thread Killer
Jipstyle wrote:
Dwood15 wrote:
Especially with the ability to, if needed, port the code to other systems with other compilers.


Pretty much answered your own question there, didn't ya?


What question?

Was hoping to just get a discussion started!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DirectX C++ development being killed by MS?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:01 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Dwood15 wrote:
I for one don't care for this move because of how absolutely key C++ is, and has been in the past for development. Especially with the ability to, if needed, port the code to other systems with other compilers.


They're killing it in favor of C#, IMHO.

You can still write C++ code into C# through volatile. Unsafe code will get you that. The big problem, however, is that you have a limited set of C++ code, but you can probably write C# wrappers for your existing C++ code and hooks to make a portion of your C++ code to work with C#.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group