Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I update my bios?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I am having problems staying connected to my router. I will be surfing and it basically is if it just stops working for a moment. I have to refresh pages on the internet and games will lose connection. I have a new router, the Netgear WNDR3700 v2 and I thought I properly set it up but maybe I didn't cause I didn't have issues while I was on my Dlink.

Also could it be packet loss? Cause I am sending WAY less than I am receiving. I am still on 100mb connection. Just waiting for a good day to get under the house and redo my network cables so I can have access to my gigabit.

Here are my computer specs:

Asus 55i Sabertooth (default bios)
I7 870
8GB corsair ram
Windows Vista 64bit

Post subject: Re: Should I update my bios?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Are you running the latest firmware revision (1.0.0.6) on your new Netgear router? If not, check for an update at the Netgear support site, download it, and upgrade the firmware within the Netgear router's web interface.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Yes, it is running the latest firmware. It came already with the latest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:36 am 
Willamette
Willamette

What was the reason for "upgrading" your router from the DLink to the Netgear? Wireless-N capability or the presence of a Gigabit network connection? Does your broadband modem have a Gigabit network connection available on it? Updating your mobo's BIOS (assuming there is a newer version available for your motherboard) might be an option, but according to the descriptions of the various BIOS revisions available at the ASUS, none of them appear to address the problem you appear to be experiencing. Are you using the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard? If not, I would definitely try doing that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Do you live in a crowded area?

I have experienced a similar problem of infrequent and mysterious freezes in my internet connection, and I have positively determined that there is nothing wrong with my ISP, my computer, my modem, or my router.

The problem immediately goes away when I turn off wifi. After perusing my router's system logs, my best guess as to the cause is that some idiot kid in my neighborhood is port scanning. So in effect I have been a victim of a small-area random DOS attack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:51 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

The reason I upgraded was to further extend my wireless network. My Dlink 655 was amazing, and I loved it but the wireless didn't quite reach to parts of the house where the netgear does. As for my modem having a gigabit connection, I am not positive. We have a comcast provided modem due to the fact we have their phoneline. I haven't tried updating chipset drivers. I will try that.