Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Multiple Wireless Radios & Splitting Traffic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I just moved to a Netgear WNDR3700. Not knowing what was good, bad, or indifferent, I set up the 2 radios thusly:

2.4Ghz (b/g/n) up to 130Mbps

5Ghz (a/n) up to 300 Mbps

If I remember correctly, I can't set them up to both get up to 300?

Anyway, I needed a new wireless adapter for a PC so I could upgrade it to Win7-64bit and spotted the Netgear WNCE2001 device that can be used in any ethernet port and supported N. No brainer here. If this product works as well as I hope I'll get a couple of satellite receivers/DVRs networked and then watch anything from any DVR in the house on any TV.

Well, after trying to get it to connect to the 5Ghz radio and failing I configured it for the 2.4Ghz and got great connection and throughput from 2 floors away. I wondered why I couldn't connect to the 5Ghz and checked their website. The device is 2.4Ghz only. Damn.

The reason I wanted it on the 5Ghz, of course, was my thinking that I would put all the multimedia devices on their own radio and put everyday PC and laptop traffic on the lower-limit 2.4Ghz radio.

After all of this rambling, my question is whether my idea to split traffic is a good one and how I should be splitting my higher throughput. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any and all (constructive) input!

Post subject: Re: Multiple Wireless Radios & Splitting Traffic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So nobody has any input here?

How about a wireless bridge-like device, like the WNCE2001 but works on 5Ghz?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yes it's a good idea. 5GHz will give you better throughput in most cases. Usually if you set up a large wireless network where you have to connect your APs by wireless you will use the 5GHz for the backbone (AP to AP) and let the users have the 2.4GHz.

Also by splitting it you help to keep your spectrum clean for users. So if your streaming a movie over 5GHz it will not bother someone surfing the web on 2.4GHz (from a radio wave standpoint).

As to getting higher speeds on 2.4GHz usually just forget about it. To get the better speeds you have to go to 40MHz wide channels. This taks up the whole 2.4GHz spectrum, so if anyone else near you is using wifi in 2.4GHz you will have interferrance. Drop it down to 20MHz wide and you will see better performance in most cases (unless you are the only one in 2.4 then go 40MHz). But 2.4GHz with 20MHz channel using N will still get you a little above G speeds (granted other things come into play like signal strength).

So hopefully I've answered your question. Oh if your running N and want the faster speeds with security you need to use AES. If you use the older security protocols it will drop you down to G speeds in throughput.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thank you. You've validated my thoughts with some tech info!

Now, to find 5Ghz devices like the WNCE2001 (2.4Ghz). The flexibility of such a device is awesome.