Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximumpc Review Policy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:02 pm 

As a computer enthusiast I trust Maximumpc reviews, they are unbiased and Maximumpc reviewers take no money or other things that might influence a review. My girlfriend doesnt agree, she thinks all reviewers take gifts and stuff that influence reviews such as from Norton ect.. My girlfriend thinks she knows everything and I know nothing. Can a staff member post the review policy ? I read the review policy years ago but i cant produce it. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Maximumpc Review Policy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'll side step the "my girlfriend thinks" part for a moment (even though YOU posted it) and also sidestep MPC as a journal.

You review what you're given. If brand "A" sends them parts for review and brand B doesn't, then it's not MPC's fault. But more than likely, Brand B and A are able to be observed fairly. It'd be really nice to know what trouble she has with where, when, and what in order to base an actual debate with. But then, that's why we have forums!

She has an open voice, "this is what I found", and then an I/O type discussion begins...Dude she can debate with you or debate with us. We really don't need you unless you're part of the discussion. She may be more geek than you in all reality. No staff needed...just us peers. Give her an account. Grumpy is one that kicks my ass every day. I'll disprove the bias by allowing...but don't say they're biased first. You're now invited into bios.

LOL...I wonder if the OP is actually him. For shame. It's not him...so join in!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm 

Ah, Chumly... How long has it been since you've been anywhere near coherent?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:23 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

xbuzzer1 wrote:
Maximumpc reviewers take no money or other things that might influence a review. My girlfriend doesnt agree, she thinks all reviewers take gifts and stuff that influence reviews such as from Norton ect..

The reality is that tech reviewers and tech journalists do get "stuff". It's an issue no doubt. However, for the most part, Mags and tech sites are pretty unbiased. Folks who have been around long enough are pretty immune to influence. May sound hard to believe, but it's true.

I will tell you why.

I reviewed PSU's and software for a while. As a result I acquired PSU's and software and other stuff. These acquisitions are not exactly free, but they do happen - no lie there - I never paid a cent - there are restrictions - but hey, you do get stuff. On many products, it's simply not worth the tracking and red tape to require a return - so the company lets you have it and claims a loss.

Now, a newbie reviewer might be influenced to give a good review just because they are getting "stuff". However, even a piss poor editor will step in and put the foot down.
Also, the makers of really craptastic stuff (or anything really) often have enough money to "pay" for an article, but are not interested in paying for said article unless the site has a noticeable profile (otherwise, why bother?). And, if a site or mag has a noticeable profile, they didn't get there by passing off bribed reviews as genuine. Fanbois aside, folks would notice.

There is also boredom...

OK, so I tested and reviewed PSU's for a year+ and what not. As a result I ended up with a room full of PSUs. I had (and have really) access to any PSU I find I need. So, if a company offers me a review sample of a PSU and makes it clear I can keep it, how is that an influence? If the product sux, I have no reason to tout it - seriously, I have plenty of PSU's. How can getting a crappy product I don't or want or need influence me to give it a good review? It's just going to go on the firkin' stack of equipment to make charity systems with (if it was at least passable). Am I worried that the company that provided it will stop providing hardware for review? A little - only to the point 5that I will stay civil and polite in what I write.

There are sites out there that really are just parking places for companies to pass of ads as reviews - it happens. However, for a print mag you won't see this because the companies can't afford the page fees.

This illusion that print mag folk are paid off is really - - well, it's an illusion.

{Edited 'cuz I ramble}

EDIT: I should say - "I am not under the employ of MaxPC."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 am 

Ok, My girlfriend sees things my way now, this all started when she didnt trust maximumpc's review of Trend Micro since she's been using it in the past with no problems, well against my better judgement I bought the new Trend Micro Titanium antivirus and installed it on her computer, not the full security suit, just the antivirus, Alarm bells went off when it required that i uninstall Zonealarm firewall even though the antivirus doesnt have a firewall so we went back to the windows vista firewall, Ok, its installed, within two days she got infected with the antivirus.net Virus and it totally disabled her computer, luckilly i had a mirror image backup then installed the free Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus, all is fine now. I've always trusted Maximumpc's reviews and now she does too. I'm getting my money back from Trend Micro. Right On Maximumpc kicks Ass.