Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Guest Network
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 am 

I would lke to set up a guest network at home. i know i can purchase a router with a guest network feature but im cheap and i have a couple wrt54g routers laying around. i have PS3, windows xp, windows 7 and various handheld devices

Cable modem
router 1 main router/secure
router 2 Guest router/unsecure

can anyone give me some tips on set up? i would like to keep router 2 from having access to router 1 but both should be able to access the internets.

Post subject: Re: Guest Network
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Connect them in this order:
Modem --> Router2 --> Router1.
Router1's WAN port should be connected to any LAN port on Router2 - this will firewall Router1 fully from Router2, but still give it 'net access.
Leave Router2 at its default settings; and set Router1's WAN IP address as a DMZ (reason being that you don't want Router2 to do any firewalling of traffic that needs to make it to Router1.)
Change the LAN IP address (and DHCP range) on Router1 to a different subnet. IIRC, Linksys is (by default) a 192.168.0.x LAN; for simplicity, change Router1 to run a 192.168.2.x LAN. Note: you will need to do this with Router2 not connected to Router1 yet! Otherwise, it'll be quite unpredictable which router you'll be logging in to. ;)
You should still be able to admin Router2 from a machine on the 'private' LAN, without creating a 'static route' in that routers config.

It'll be a little tricky to set up, it may be fussy, and this will create additional potential points of failure - if things go pear-shaped, it'll be not the easist to troubleshoot.

One other thing you may want to consider: if you have an 'older' PC laying around, and a couple of spare NICs, you may want to consider setting up a Smoothwall, and using that as your gateway device. You can still use the '54G's that you have (in AP-Only mode); Smoothwall will handle all routing duties.
"Guest" network is Blue; "private" network is Green. Blue is fully isolated (one-way) from Green: nothing on Blue can 'see' the Green network. And, it's extremely stable. Mine is rebooted only for updates (once or twice a year), or (since it's not on a UPS) power outages.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:21 am 

Thanks cup, thats exactly what i was looking for. i was looking at smoothwall yesterday but i had company last night so i didn't have time to check it out and install it. i will most likely end up buying a router with a guest network but i will be trying all of my free options first. I say free but time is money to so we will see how that goes. Atleast i have a little insight into what i will be trying now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:25 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

I do get the 'time is money' thing (I fix cars for a living.)

One nice thing (among others) about Smoothwall Express: installation & initial setup takes (generally) <10 minutes of sitting at the machine, and it doesn't care if you leave in on a screen for an extended period (IOW, it doesn't care if you forget about it for a while.)

Helpful hint on setup: before you install the NICs, note down the make, model, and MAC address of each, decide which NIC you want to be what (note this on the paper too.) Mark each NIC with its color (I used colored electrical tape - just wrapped it around the mounting brackets.)

How to configure a Linksys router to run in AP-Only mode can be found here.