Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Comcast Modem Supporting Digital Voice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jumped the AT&T DSL ship today due to crap service, support, speed - you know the drill. I'd rather not lease their modem. Our package will include voice. I understand an "eMTA" device will be required. And, of course DOCSIS 3.0 is required. I'd like to find a device the installer will even install, if possible, when he arrives next Thursday AM. So the best they already use would be ideal. Comcast themselves are not very helpful in identifying the proper device short list, unfortunately.

Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Best Comcast Modem Supporting Digital Voice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:42 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

While I appreciate the desire to not want to lease a modem from the cableco.....
Cable telephony modems are wildly different (and, wildly more expensive) things than a standard cable modem. And, I'm not even aware of anywhere that you can buy one (legitimately.)
To the best of my knowledge, it's along the same lines as is a CableCARD or cable box: you have to lease it from the cableco.
But, in this case, the cost is generally included (inextricably so) in the voice service. In other words, there's no charge for it (at least, here on my Bright House headend, that's how it is.)

BTW, this is one area where it's actually beneficial to get it from the cableco - if you have issues, then it's 100% their problem. They cannot blame "your equipment" (it's theirs), or the cabling (they either installed the cabling, or tested it at install time.) If things break, they fix it, on their dime.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:52 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I hear what you're saying. And they are charging an extra $5 a month for the device.

I was hoping to find a DOCSIS 3 device with compatibility with their digital voice (eMTA) because my current bandwidth doesn't actually require a DOCSIS 3 unit. We'll have to see what they bring to my front door Thursday.

I just like to be able to pick my own device based on realistic selection criteria and not what's on the truck.

Right now I'll be taking what they give me, talking with the install tech, and seeing how realistic it is to replace it with something superior after-the-fact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:27 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

That's, ah, kind of retarded that the modem is a line-item on the bill - why line-item it, when you can't buy one? :?
Generally, yes, they're supposed to line-item things - but, this is the one thing that (AFAIK) they aren't required to, as it's not something you can buy, nor can it be part of another piece of equipment (like, say, a CableCARD can be.)

AFAIK, there are only two companies that even make residential cable/VoIP modems: Arris, and Cisco.
Now, if you can find somewhere that will (legitimately) sell you one, and Comcast is willing to provision it, go ahead by all means.
But, as I said earlier, they generally aren't sold to the public - only to MSOs (cable companies.)
How "not sold" are they? Straight from Cisco (from the DPC6027's page): "Available from select North American service providers. To check availability in your area, contact your local service provider:"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The Arris is available at some Best Buys, supposedly. But your point's taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

True - and, I did see that on their site.
Reason I didn't mention it: can't even find it (can't even find Arris) on BB's site. :? So.... ((shrugs))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

For those who were curious, I've gone with leasing what the tech had in the truck for now. It's an Arris TM502G, which I understand is only DOCSIS 2.0 compliant. It does have the voice built-in. From Arris' site it's not very clear what the appropriate DOCSIS 3.0 compliant device model is.

The tech assured me that he would have deployed this device if I had gone with a faster package (I went with 12Mb down/2Mb up). They dropped the ball in apportioning for my install as I was at 1Mb up or down when the tech finished. But before 2 hrs went by I was at 21Mb down/3Mb up and have kept that since. All in all, Comcast has been painless so far. And the bandwidth is a lovely bonus.

Oh, and pings went from 60s to teens for speedtest.net!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

The Arris TM722G is D3 compliant and the only customer-owned eMTA that Comcast will provision at this time. It's only available from Best Buy.

Customers can use their own Internet modem to avoid the rental fee (and tax on rental fee).

Glad you are enjoying your service :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Queenof1 wrote:
The Arris TM722G is D3 compliant and the only customer-owned eMTA that Comcast will provision at this time. It's only available from Best Buy.

Customers can use their own Internet modem to avoid the rental fee (and tax on rental fee).

Glad you are enjoying your service :)

Hm. I wish you'd have dropped by a while ago. *Laugh* Not like I could probably find one of those models. Local Best Buys are clueless. But thanks for the info. I can start looking now.