Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A challenge for thejake490
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:39 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Jake, I have been reading some of your older post and it seems you like a little competition. Your last challenge was with Lunky, to get to rank 2000 then 1000. So now i issue a new challenge to you: Can you beat me to rank 500?

As you pointed out in another post, I am creeping up on you. So, are you up to the challenge?

Post subject: Re: A challenge for thejake490
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

devastator_2000 wrote:
Jake, I have been reading some of your older post and it seems you like a little competition. Your last challenge was with Lunky, to get to rank 2000 then 1000. So now i issue a new challenge to you: Can you beat me to rank 500?

As you pointed out in another post, I am creeping up on you. So, are you up to the challenge?

Challenge accepted. First to rank 500 it is!

And so we can watch from the forum if we wish:

My Stats Sig:
Your Stats Sig:

May the fastest folder win!
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
devastator_2000 wrote:

Challenge accepted. First to rank 500 it is!

And so we can watch from the forum if we wish:

My Stats Sig:
Your Stats Sig:

May the fastest folder win!
:mrgreen:

Great, let the fun begin. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:11 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

To get to that magic 500 rank we both will have to nearly double our points. So it looks like we got our work cut out for us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Oh yes. There will be blood sweat and tears - the last time I went on a folding gauntlet, I had a motherboard fail on me and by the time I had gotten the rig back up, Lunky had blown past me at the 2000 mark. Luckily, I had a few freelance gaming rig repairs to do and folded with those to cast me ahead of him at the last moment. Still, now I have a new motherboard with two empty PCI-E slots... :P

This could go either way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:42 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
the last time I went on a folding gauntlet, I had a motherboard fail on me and by the time I had gotten the rig back up, Lunky had blown past me at the 2000 mark.

I dont think any of my parts will fail, but I have two PC's that I need to bring down so that I can install a new cooler and reformat the hard drive. So each PC will be down for a few hours costing me folding time. But since i can only work on them one at a time, I will complete one PC, get it back to folding, then bring down the other.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Nice. I have a couple of powerful dual-cores at work that can swing a few SMP WU's for me, but not for long each because there are energy constraints. Ever since I got my Foxconn Destroyer, folding has really ramped up, but I need to disable PhysX so that I can get the advantage of dual GPU clients that could increase my production on that rig alone to around 12k PPD minimum.

Lots of tweaking, Lots of FANS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

now, how long did it take me to hit top 50

:ponders:

you don't need to disable physx for folding.

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I know I don't need to, but I cannot currently fold with both graphics cards on my Destroyer. I tried to install two clients and they ran just the same way that I have on previous rigs, but only ran on one of the graphics cards. (Two clients on one card = sucky PPD). Don't ask me how that works, but I have checked several times to see if the client in question was using the card I had intended it for, or if the card was idle and the latter proved true.

Weird, but at lease I am folding with the 9600 GSO I had intended for PhysX until I put it up for the New-Year's contest.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

thejake490 wrote:
I know I don't need to, but I cannot currently fold with both graphics cards on my Destroyer. I tried to install two clients and they ran just the same way that I have on previous rigs, but only ran on one of the graphics cards. (Two clients on one card = sucky PPD). Don't ask me how that works, but I have checked several times to see if the client in question was using the card I had intended it for, or if the card was idle and the latter proved true.

Weird, but at lease I am folding with the 9600 GSO I had intended for PhysX until I put it up for the New-Year's contest.

Have you tried the "magical" FAH GPU Tracker V2?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:09 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

SwingOp3 wrote:
thejake490 wrote:

Have you tried the "magical" FAH GPU Tracker V2?

I would also like to point out the F@HUtil. I use it and it is fantastic. Granted I don't have a very complicated setup, just SMP and 1 GPU, but it is handy nonetheless. The client is great, and simple to use. Those eVga guys know whats up lol. Just my 2 pennies. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:43 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

F@HUtil looks prettier. :P
But still, I think I'll try both and see. It would be nice if I could get both cards up and folding, particularly if nobody helps me with the Contest for the 9600 GSO. To do the contest, I need some help filtering the participants and qualifying them. It's just too much for one person to handle, let alone someone with a full time job. If the contest proves to be something that cannot be done due to that, then it would be good to get that card up and earning it's keep so to speak.

Love the avatar, heartagram.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:40 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

thejake490 wrote:
F@HUtil looks prettier. :P
But still, I think I'll try both and see. It would be nice if I could get both cards up and folding, particularly if nobody helps me with the Contest for the 9600 GSO. To do the contest, I need some help filtering the participants and qualifying them. It's just too much for one person to handle, let alone someone with a full time job. If the contest proves to be something that cannot be done due to that, then it would be good to get that card up and earning it's keep so to speak.

Love the avatar, heartagram.

Thanks! :twisted: :twisted: Also, ironic as it may be, I am on my mom's MacBook.... since she has pictures I need and she's down visiting for Christmas. She asked me how to fix it, I was like dunno crap about macs mum lol. Good luck mate!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:57 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Got the 9600GSO up and folding. Will have an additional 9800GT to fold soon too.

Is it getting HOT in here???

:twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:53 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
Got the 9600GSO up and folding. Will have an additional 9800GT to fold soon too.

Yeah, I noticed that you added something today. Today will see me with the most points in one day I have ever had. Now I just need to expand on that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

devastator_2000 wrote:
thejake490 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that you added something today. Today will see me with the most points in one day I have ever had. Now I just need to expand on that.

You may beat me unless I can get something added to my Destroyer.

But I have some options... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Now Folding:

☼ Phenom 9850 x4 3.0ghz.
☼ nVidia GeForce GT 240 1gb.
Spoiler: show
☼ nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512mb. <PULLED>

☼ EVGA GeForce 9600 GSO 768mb.

Min. 12k PPD. MoRe?

I may have a few other tricks. But we shall see.

EDIT: And those sig images work on my Droid, but I want to figure out how to set it as my Droid's desktop background....that would be AwEsOmE. For now tho, I'll settle for having it bookmarked in the browser. :P

GAH! The 9800GT is eating 18% CPU and will not allow the 240GT to fold ... the bake did not succeed, still needs some work.

Last edited by thejake490 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:29 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

PPD plummeted today. Bad storm rolled thru and knocked out power for a little while and while I did get my rigs back up, it cost me 3/4 of a day of folding. MEH.

:|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:53 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
PPD plummeted today. Bad storm rolled thru and knocked out power for a little while and while I did get my rigs back up, it cost me 3/4 of a day of folding. MEH.

I was looking at your points today and noticed that they had dropped way down. Hopefully the power is back up and you can get back to folding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:56 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

devastator_2000 wrote:
thejake490 wrote:

I was looking at your points today and noticed that they had dropped way down. Hopefully the power is back up and you can get back to folding.

Yeah I'm back up almost across the board, but what a loss. Plus, the CRT on my fileserver was taken out too so I guess it's time to retire that old standard for that machine in favor of perhaps a standard aspect ratio 17" (4:3) LCD. I'll have to wait and see. :|