Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Install wireless adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:37 pm 

Hello,

I'm a total novice with Linux so bear with me. I'm trying to install a MS USB wireless adapter MN-710. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 depending on where I check it. It's on an Emachine T3612 with 2gb of ram and a celeron D 3.46GHz.
I plugged it in hoping it would be plug and play but I guess not. What do I need to do to get it up and working?

My other comp is an HP Pavilion a1410n running XP media center with a Belkin g + mimo router that I know works with laptops running windows. I do have a hardwired connection from the router working.

Thanks,
Trent

Post subject: Re: Install wireless adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i looked briefly and it sounds like you will need to use ndiswrapper to get that thing to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDISwrapper

personally I'd replace it with something listed on the HCL for Ubuntu based on the lack of WPA on that ms wireless adapter g adapters are cheeeeap even n ones are not so bad on newegg.

up to you but personally i'd get a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 am 

I will get something better later, this was given to me so I can use it this week. I'll try the ndiswrapper though, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:12 am 

Windows wireless drivers now shows up under admin. When I try to install the .inf file I keep getting a "invalid driver" message. I've tried different .inf's and keep getting the same message.
The adapter is a MS MN-710 usb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

co1615 wrote:
Windows wireless drivers now shows up under admin. When I try to install the .inf file I keep getting a "invalid driver" message. I've tried different .inf's and keep getting the same message.
The adapter is a MS MN-710 usb.

r u running 64bit Ubuntu? cause if so your going to need a 64bit xp driver if you can find one.

[*]
hmm being curious by nature i saw something were someone got it working using a Atheros Driver (apparently the MN701 uses a Atheros wireless chip) in xp 64 anyways ...sadly they failed to specify which driver /chipset it is and I haven't seen it listed yet

but you might see if you can find out and d/l the most appropriate xp driver (32 or 64bit depending) from here

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
[*]

oh man I don't know other people say it is a prism54 chipset.... sorry I wish I could be more help but I'm not sure, if it was me i'd totally just buy another adapter to not have to deal with it :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:14 pm 

Ok, went out and bought a Netgear n 150 usb. I can't get this one to install either. So I reverse engineered the setup and hooked the router to the Linux comp and the adapter to the MS comp and it's working. However, I keep getting a pop up saying wifi service has encountered a problem and needs to close. I keep clicking send report and it keeps popping u about every 10 seconds. Very annoying!! Anyone have an idea of how to disable the popup?