Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Spamming Article Comments!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:13 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

well it's Saturday and the spammers have been in full force

cant believe that it's gotten to be this much of a pain in the ass here on the site to navigate around these spammers.

Sadly, I am also of the mind that if the people running the site wanted it stopped, it would have been. It is painfully obvious that it is not that big of a deal to them. Simple measures would have eliminated the spam from the forum posts. They declined to do any of the "simple" things needed, therefore by default they want the spammers to have free use of their site to push their counterfeit goods on their web site. Would be a shame if the us gov't decided that they were one of the sites selling fake goods and had to be closed. That would be ironic maybe even iconic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:58 pm 

Does any one here ever kinda think....maybe they would buy suma dem fayk Nike shoes just out of curiosity? :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Honestly, I cannot understand wy theypost advertisements for a totally unrelated product on a tech. Website. It seems stupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:26 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

they post here because its free
and they can

its really that simple

if they had to pay .01 cent per post they wouldn't go to the effort

spam is like carpet bombing
you cover 10,000,000 square meters and hope you got the ONE target you hoped was in the kill zone. if you hit it, its a success and it will be copied and emulated for that victory

what would be a better out come and probably slightly illegal would be a dDos based return to sender effort to those very sites that keep posting here but I am merely speculating and not to be construed as advocating any such illegal activity no matter how just the action would be

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:49 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Look, the simple fact is that MxPC does not have the ability to patrol itself as readily as other magazine companies do. The truth is that MxPC isn't nearly as huge of a name as say PC World and C.P.U., and that means that changes happen more slowly than what we would all like. As far as I know, the tech. journalist here, such as Norman, Murphy, and Gordon (Everyone's favorite asshole <3) do not have the ability to alter this site by any means. The site hosting/editing is controlled by a web vendor, who is under employment from MxPC's parent company. The editors know there is a problem, the moderators/admins know there is a problem, but until the higher ups, who actually make the decision making for MxPC, get off of their asses, we're fucked. I realize that everyone here is screaming for the spammers to leave from this site, but we're going to have to accept the fact that for now it's not likely to go away.

Now, SUPPOSEDLY, an editor here told me that a new spamming system was about to go into affect, and that it should eliminate the spamming issue once and for all; however, this information about a new spamming system is about a week old. The best that we all can do is to not let it effect us in our discussion about what we all love - computers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:38 pm 

The reason they spam here is because Mac Life sold the Chinese info about a secret security flaw in the website in a last ditch effort to maintain their illusion of relevance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Nimrod wrote:
The reason they spam here is because Mac Life sold the Chinese info about a secret security flaw in the website in a last ditch effort to maintain their illusion of relevance.

While totally true, this was a dumb move on Mac|Life's part because we know where they live.

In all seriousness, the spam-killing plugin should be deployed to the site tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:54 pm 

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:17 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

nedwards wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

While totally true, this was a dumb move on Mac|Life's part because we know where they live.

In all seriousness, the spam-killing plugin should be deployed to the site tomorrow.

Can you ban people on the main site?

the new thing is a longer captha, it looks like.

also, it seems like the only fix is for more people with mod powers, to ban the spammers and delete posts.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:30 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Honestly, just implement a ranking system on comments posted on the site. The shitty, spamming ones get voted down by the community, whilst the post that relate to the topic get voted up. The new CAPTCHA system blows major cawk, as I seem to be so terrible at deciphering the words. There is no need for more moderators, as the community can moderate the site by having a ranking system. Hell, to make it simpler, just have a "flag" button, where if enough people flag a post, it becomes hidden from public view.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

nedwards wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

I take it this was a

"FAIL"
moment? As the 14th has come an gone, and we are still at the mercy of the spambots :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

whathuhitwasntme wrote:
nedwards wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

I take it this was a

"FAIL"
moment? As the 14th has come an gone, and we are still at the mercy of the spambots :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As I have said before, MxPC should not be to blame. I just think that they don't get nearly as much attention, as they sometimes need, like bigger publishers do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:04 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

funny
seems to me the spammers are providing adequate attention to them just like they were a big publisher

its beyond idiocy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:43 pm 

I suggest taking one of the Mac|noLife staffers hostage with the demand that they put an end to their digital harassment efforts.

But no seriously all the spammers are coming from THE SAME SITE. Why cant you just block any post with things like EDITED FOR IDIOCY in them? There are spam and flood filters that can detect the repeated spam flood in a post and not let it go thru.

Its not like you guys dont already know this tho :?

EDITED FOR IDIOCY

Honestly, any post that has shit like that in it would be caught by even the oldest spam filters. Welcome to THE INTERNET MaximumPC, so glad you could join us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Eh, it's not MxPC's fault. They tried to implement a system that actively monitored spam without the CAPTCHA. Unfortunately, that was a train wreck and then some.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:46 am 

yeah because its not like its their duty to maintain their own site or anything.

Just because they FAILED doesnt mean its not their fault.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:36 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Nimrod wrote:
yeah because its not like its their duty to maintain their own site or anything.

Just because they FAILED doesn't mean its not their fault.

The tech. editors here are the only ones who are basically the "heir arc" of MxPC. That is to say that there isn't an active team here, for which actively looks after the website. When something goes heywire, the team at MxPC sends a service request, as I know it, to upper management/host, and from there they have to wait. I'm sure Gordon could fix it, he's knowledgeable; however, I'd be willing to bet they've (editors) been instructed never to alter the site by any means until proper people are brought in to handle the issue, if the editors can even alter it at all. So, again, I do not blame the MxPC staff. They care as much about controlling this spam outbreak as we do. It's not as if they're sitting on a pile of money, [and] laughing at how we demand more of them. MxPC has a community of dedicated members, and they're not going to alienate the community on purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:28 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

yeah ok not

as quick as a new article is posted it is covered in spam faster than a luau in Hawaii. The only place on earth that has more spam than here!

There is a new posting today about a cell phone, I wanted to read the rest of the article, go figure the first half page after the jump, SPAM. Makes me wonder why I even try.

It's a sad sad day, when what was the premier tech magazine, gets schooled by a bunch of third world spammers selling knock offs an clones of crappy stuff. I am sure they thank you for the free bandwidth you provide them. :oops: :idea: :arrow: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:04 pm 

Dear MaximumPC.

Please buy some of the products listed in the adverts and review them in your magazine.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is one fine flame war for a thread dealing with anti-spamming.