Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Issue reading from file (C++)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:18 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

gamerfreak wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
That is beyond sad lol.

Even the local community college I went to had a more recent version lol.

Yea, but has unix or emacs really changed all that much in the past 10 years? Especially for the purpose of compiling elementary c++ programs, if it works - leave it.

10? 30?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:41 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

gamerfreak wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
That is beyond sad lol.

Even the local community college I went to had a more recent version lol.

Yea, but has unix or emacs really changed all that much in the past 10 years? Especially for the purpose of compiling elementary c++ programs, if it works - leave it.

Well, obviously you still have some pretty basic bugs in that 10+ year old stuff. Upgrade it man! There is nor reason not to. It isn't like it costs money :)

Besides, just because something still "works" doesn't mean that the newer stuff isn't lots better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:55 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yeah .. not like, say, file systems have seen any improvements over the last decade or so.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

gamerfreak wrote:
We are probebly using a dated version of g++. The server is running SunOS 5.10.

SunOS 5.10 is Solaris 10; You're actually working on a recent enough system. The native IDE and C/C++ compiler for Solaris is actually a damn good compiler (SunStudio).

It sounds like the sysadmin may have borked the g++ install. What version of g++ is installed on the machine?
What university is this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jipstyle wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Damn... I would have figured that these kinds of issues with C++ libraries would have been gone for five years now.

Do you guys remember all the goofy scoping issues with C++ in VS? The most common one was...
Code:
void foo (int n)
{
  for (int i = 0; i < n; i++);
  cout << i << endl;  //prints i = n despite not being in scope
}

That was the surest way to know that students didn't follow directions and compile their code on the school Sun system. I probably took more points off for that "error" than everything else combined.

That is hilarious. I bet you had a bunch of angry undergrads in your office every week, complaining that they lost points when their code works 'just fine'.

Most people got wise to it pretty fast, but you always had one or two people that were stubborn. The reverse situation actually happen to me once. I was taking a course with one of the professors that I worked for at the time (indirectly, but she acted like she owned everyone in the department). We had to simulate a memory manager for an OS course; Her directions were very clear about compiling all code on the Unix box. I get back a hard-copy of the code and the top of the paper has a comment like... "Excellent design -- best in the class!" and a little below it is a BIG D- or F and a little below that a comment about my code not compiling! I knew that my code compiled and worked. I had spent the better part of the previous two weeks making sure that it was A+ quality. It turns out that this grader had moved all of the submissions from the Unix box and then used VS to compile and test the programs! You should have seen the look on his face when we started questioning him about how he had tested the code -- that was one scarred 19 or 20 year old.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:37 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

gamerfreak wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

Of course they've changed during the past ten years! Solaris 10 introduced a number of new operating system features. C++ compilers and tools have changed substantially. And Emacs, well Emacs was built for the ages, but even it has changed. =)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:13 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Gadget wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
We are probebly using a dated version of g++. The server is running SunOS 5.10.

SunOS 5.10 is Solaris 10; You're actually working on a recent enough system. The native IDE and C/C++ compiler for Solaris is actually a damn good compiler (SunStudio).

It sounds like the sysadmin may have borked the g++ install. What version of g++ is installed on the machine?
What university is this?

g++ 3.4.6

and its Kutz*town University, in Pennsylvania