Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MOVED: About the Sennheiser PC155 Headset August '04 review
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:48 am 

Tae Kim did a review on the Sennheiser PC155 headset, and came to the conclusion (from what I understood) that the headset was better off used without the USB connector. If you don't want to spend $140.00 on the headset and want to save some money, then buy the Sennheiser PC150 instead. I found it for $34.99 (plus $4.95 handling fee at www.ecost.com). Far cheaper than the $140.00 price tag. It won't come with adapter, and is the same exact headset as the PC155 (from what I read from some review websites). Hope this helps anyone looking for an excellent headset. Truly, this is the one to buy! It would also help if you had a decent sound card (like say a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card). If I have given any misinformation, please let me know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:42 pm 

Word!! I agree totally. Own 3 PC 150's and it was ecost that I too got them from.

Let me add USB is not something I'm interested in adding on my Headset/Mic. I have 6 USB devices already from the last count I did. The difference in $$ here between PC 155 USB vs PC 150. I can save a few kw's on my PSU and pre-order Doom-3. Then get myself at home pizza delivery the day D3 is at my door!

Pale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:46 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Im pretty sure he said in the review you could buy the headset by itself for a good deal cheaper...

edit:
Nevermind, he didnt :P
Must have been a different review of them...

Post subject: Tae Kim is a guy???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:08 pm 

I never knew that... I thought Tae Kim was a girls name. Thanks for clearing that up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:50 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

SomeGuy wrote:
Im pretty sure he said in the review you could buy the headset by itself for a good deal cheaper...

edit:

Ahhh...I saw this too, and could swear that it did say that. Then I look up the review and re-read it over and over thinking I missed it. Nope...not in the review.

It's in the "In/Out" section on page 08 under the heading "Headphones belong in Best of the Best".

"We should note that Sennheiser sells a USB adapterless version of the PC155 for about half the price..."

That about drove me crazy! But there it is...

Post subject: Just like knowing...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:39 am 

Just like knowing Tae Kim is NOT a girls name. That STILL driving me CRAZY!!! Thanks for finding that inforamation and repying SomeGuy. I just hope this helps anyone out there looking for a great headset at very reasonable price...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:52 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Chumly wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

edit:

Ahhh...I saw this too, and could swear that it did say that. Then I look up the review and re-read it over and over thinking I missed it. Nope...not in the review.

It's in the "In/Out" section on page 08 under the heading "Headphones belong in Best of the Best".

"We should note that Sennheiser sells a USB adapterless version of the PC155 for about half the price..."

That about drove me crazy! But there it is...

I KNEW I saw that somewhere :D

Post subject: Re: Tae Kim is a guy???
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:53 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

LADISLAO wrote:
I never knew that... I thought Tae Kim was a girls name. Thanks for clearing that up...

Actually Im not sure if Tae Kim is a he or a she...

Post subject: Re: Tae Kim is a guy???
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:00 am 
Northwood
Northwood

SomeGuy wrote:
LADISLAO wrote:

Actually Im not sure if Tae Kim is a he or a she...

i'll step in a say that Tae Kim sounds like a male Korean. i did come across one Korean male named Tae before.

Post subject: Re: About the Sennheiser PC155 Headset August '04 review...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

We all have our opinion... :D

PC Enthusiast Magazine - March 2004 (pg. 28 )
Reviewer: Tony "TheMocoMan" Angel

Sennheiser Communications pc155 USB Headset
Look mom, no sound card!

Sennheiser Electronics produces some of the highest quality headphones and audio equipment in the world. Many enthusiasts and audiophiles in the business personally own a set of Sennheiser headphones. Naturally, when Sennheiser produces three versions of gaming headsets, the community takes notice. Sennheiser Communications, a branch division of Sennheiser Electronics, has produced three USB headsets geared toward gamers, the PC135, the PC145, and the PC155, which is the focus of this review.

The PC155 headset features small ear caps padded with soft foam. They feel nice, but aren’t as comfortable as the full sized ear caps featured on the Sennheiser HD570’s. The top band also sports a soft layer of foam to help cushion big heads. The design is comfortable enough that wearing the headset for hours shouldn’t become bothersome.

The PC155 is both analog and USB compatible. Before testing the USB connection, I used the analog connectors to gauge the quality of audio recording and playback. I used an M-Audio sound card to record 24-bit 96kHz WAV samples and noticed quite a bit of background hiss from the analog microphone recordings, analog playback however was nice and smooth with no hint of background hiss.

After enough analog recording torture I switched over to USB mode. Now we’re talking! The digital interface offered by the USB port made the recordings very clean without any hiss. The vocal clarity was vastly superior, and the overall tone was more rich and true. For me, it was quite a noticeable difference. Playback sounded about the same and my ear couldn’t tell the difference. Suffice it to say that the best policy is to use the USB connector. This holds true if you use the microphone to communicate with someone over the internet or just voice recordings.

Another reason to utilize the USB connection is that the headset will function without a sound card. I was pretty amazed that these little headphones actually produced some decent game sound. I could distinctly make out a modest surround sound effect in games like Call of Duty and the FarCry demo. The frequency response was also pretty good coming from such a humble looking headset. The bass notes were rich yet mellow, and the highs weren’t overly screechy. Subjectively, the sound quality was decently balanced and produced good frequency response throughout the range.

The best feature of this headset is the functionality; being able to instantly have sound without a sound card is rather inventive. As a gamer, however, I cannot fully get behind this headset, because a surround sound headphone is much better suited for us. For the casual gamer, or customer support representative, this set is for you.

Verdict: 7/10
Hits: No sound card needed, clear recording and playback in USB mode, plenty of cable length.
Misses: Analog recording has too much hiss, small ear cups, no surround sound.
========================================================

[EDIT: We ran this in March!!! and MaxPC didn't get around to it till AUGUST!!! GEESH!!!]

Post subject: For the money though...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:14 pm 

For the money though, you can't tell me spending $140.00 rather than spending $35.00 is worth the difference. Especially when you have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card that simulates "surround sound" for you. I have spent a quite a bit on my exsisting sound system for my home theater equipment (around $5,000) and after testing these headsets on my PC (w/NO HISS, which by the way, could be coming from a bad connection or soundcard), playing Unreal Tournament 2004, they sound AMAZING!!! I know where I'm being attacked (or attacking) from; front, back, above and side to side. Anyone who is going to spend $140.00 for a headset should ALREADY have a decent soundcard. And if you do have a decent soundcard, then you're WASTING your money spending what YOU DON'T NEED! Also, the comfort of these headsets are just as amazing!!! Even though my ears are bigger than the earpads, they are STILL comfortable (AND I ALSO WEAR GLASSES!!!). Nuff' said on that. But thanks for the review Tony Angel. I will give the Sennheiser PC150 headset (NOT the PC155) 9.5/10!!!

Post subject: Re: For the money though...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:28 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

LADISLAO,

What's up there guy. Thanks for the PM to alert me to your reply. I can tell you were very excited to have me read it. Just to clear things up my post was not to poop on you or anything of that nature. In fact I'd say your whole argument is "right on!"

I would for sure not spring $140 for the PC155 nor would I spring $34.99 for the PC150. I posted my review to basically poop on Tae Kim.
Quote:
Tae Kim did a review on the Sennheiser PC155 headset, and came to the conclusion (from what I understood) that the headset was better off used without the USB connector.

Now *THAT* is a shitty conclusion. It's my opinion that they sound better WITH the USB connector. Period. End of story.

Quote:
and after testing these headsets on my PC (w/NO HISS, which by the way, could be coming from a bad connection or soundcard)

Not a chance Jack. M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card with a good connection. Remember... the playback was fine it was the recoridng that generated a hiss. But I'm sure you read the review. That's what turns me on about you (your attention to detail) - Ace Ventura

Anyway, after reading your lovely little post I now have new questions.

*Now I'll be attacking you (which I wasn't doing before) :D* :: pulls out shotgun ::

Quote:
Anyone who is going to spend $140.00 for a headset should ALREADY have a decent soundcard.
Damn right. And the PC150 for $35.00 are total shit. What a sorry waste of money on an Audigy2 level sound card.

Quote:
And if you do have a decent soundcard, then you're WASTING your money spending what YOU DON'T NEED!

If you don't have a decent soundcard you shouldn't be gaming anyway! And again, if you *DO* have a decent sound card only an CHEAP ASS would buy a $35 dollar sorry ass headset.

Quote:
Also, the comfort of these headsets are just as amazing!!! Even though my ears are bigger than the earpads, they are STILL comfortable (AND I ALSO WEAR GLASSES!!!)

Big ears, small head. The earpads suck period. Too damn small. The headphones are CHEAP man. Cheap in price, sound quality, and comfort. Deal with it. Sennheiser Communications made some shit headphones that tarnish the Sennheiser Electronics brand name. (see intro of my review)

You ready to play with the big boys? Mr. I spent $5000 on my Home Theater setup and prolly blew $3000 on an overpriced TV. If you had any decent audio equipment you should also have some Sennheiser HD 580 headphones as a STARTING POINT. When you're really ready to get serious you should upgrade to the $500 Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. And if you REALLY knew what you were talking about you'd compliment those HD 650 headphones with AT LEAST a $269 dollar HeadRoom Total BitHead headphone amplifier.

Yes. Now *THAT* my young man is how it is done. Where you're ready to graduate out of broke ass nickel and dime school, you let me know.

Post subject: A guy like you...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:26 pm 

A guy like you that spends that much on a headset must not be married (w/children). And if you are, you should be investing that money into there education, so they can help you when you're old and grey, so they can pay for your retirement home. But you'll probably have the best equipment and at the end have nothing to show for it, except living on the street w/a $500.00+ headset when you're 80+ years old... By the way I was comparing the PC155 with the PC150 and there prices (and the two models being the same; with the exception of the USB connector). NOT SOME MORE EXPENSIVE MODEL. So it would be helpful to stick to the topic at hand, and not go off on some tangent about how much more you spent on your equipment. Also, if I had $800.00+ to spend on a headset and amp, I would upgrade my PC instead. But again, that is another topic and not related to what was originally posted. I hope you NOW get what I'm talking about. STICK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND, AND PLEASE STOP SHOWING OFF !!!!!!! You should really be ashamed of biggin' up yourself like that. I only used how much I spent on my system (which took 5 years to piece together; again, I'm married with a child) as a comparison to the sound of these headsets. And for the money ($35.00) they sound great. And about your last comment...

"Yes. Now *THAT* my young man is how it is done. Where you're ready to graduate out of broke ass nickel and dime school, you let me know."

I'm not broke, just on a budget (like most people). Again, if you ARE married with kids, then with the money you're spending on yourself, should go to help THEM "graduate" (as you were so-called trying to tell me), so they can hopefully want to help you and others with there prosperity in life. Now please, a real man would understand that, and not put someone else down with how much more they got than someone else. Because that's how it sounds, and quite frankly, that's just flat out immature on your part, and bad for someone (like yourself) who does reviews. You keep this up, no one will respect you, and your future reviews on other products will be ignored by others, because of your pompous response and attitude. So please, use this as learning tool for your future postings. Take care and talk to you soon. Ladislao...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:19 pm 

Quote:
If you had any decent audio equipment you should also have some Sennheiser HD 580 headphones as a STARTING POINT. When you're really ready to get serious you should upgrade to the $500 Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. And if you REALLY knew what you were talking about you'd compliment those HD 650 headphones with AT LEAST a $269 dollar HeadRoom Total BitHead headphone amplifier.

<chuckle>

Whaddya sum kinda oddiophile?

Sennheiser 580's are amazing. I use them with a McCormack Audio Micro Headphone Drive in my audio rig, but they also sound absurdly good with the onboard audio on my ASUS mobo. That was a revelation, that onboard audio might not suck.

I auditioned the 600's when I bought these, and the differences were too minimal or elusive for me to justify the extra cash. Haven't heard the latest round of Sennheisers, but I'm sure they are a cut above the competition.

For those of you looking for excellent phones for AV or computers at reasonable prices, and don't want/need a USB connection, check out Grado Labs: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Ok, guys and gals, resume whacking each other over the head with folding chairs. :)[/url]

Post subject: I'm sure those headsets are amazing too, but...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:15 am 

I did check out that website (www.gradolabs.com), and I'm sure those headsets are amazing too, but it's going off the original topic of discussion. I was just comparing the PC155's price with the PC150, and that if you decide to get a gaming headset with a mic, than you might as well save your money and purchase the PC150, and spend the rest of the money you saved on a better soundcard (if you don't have one), or something else you might like... We're going way off the topic with this thing...

Post subject: Re: I'm sure those headsets are amazing too, but...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:41 pm 

LADISLAO wrote:
I did check out that website (www.gradolabs.com), and I'm sure those headsets are amazing too, but it's going off the original topic of discussion. We're going way off the topic with this thing...

<bow>
<scrape>

My humblest apologies.

btw, no need to use bold - text shows up just fine on my monitor. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:28 pm 

fallsroad wrote:
Quote:
If you had any decent audio equipment you should also have some Sennheiser HD 580 headphones as a STARTING POINT. When you're really ready to get serious you should upgrade to the $500 Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. And if you REALLY knew what you were talking about you'd compliment those HD 650 headphones with AT LEAST a $269 dollar HeadRoom Total BitHead headphone amplifier.

<chuckle>

Whaddya sum kinda oddiophile?

Sennheiser 580's are amazing. I use them with a McCormack Audio Micro Headphone Drive in my audio rig, but they also sound absurdly good with the onboard audio on my ASUS mobo. That was a revelation, that onboard audio might not suck.

I auditioned the 600's when I bought these, and the differences were too minimal or elusive for me to justify the extra cash. Haven't heard the latest round of Sennheisers, but I'm sure they are a cut above the competition.

For those of you looking for excellent phones for AV or computers at reasonable prices, and don't want/need a USB connection, check out Grado Labs: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Ok, guys and gals, resume whacking each other over the head with folding chairs. :)[/url]

I've been tempted lately to buy a replacement cord for my 580. They're supposed to really make these things sing.

So far I've been very pleased with their performance through my vintage Marantz receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:26 pm 

Sideswiped wrote:

I've been tempted lately to buy a replacement cord for my 580. They're supposed to really make these things sing.

So far I've been very pleased with their performance through my vintage Marantz receiver.

You mean an after market connector cord?

I'd save the cash for an outboard headphone amp. No offense to the vintage Marantz receivers - they have amazing tuners in them - but the headphone output isn't the best it could be, especially with those 'phones.

Post subject: Re: A guy like you...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Look bud you fired 1st. The only thing I said originally was "We all have our opinion..." I really that should have been posted to that tard who wrote the MaxPC article and not yourself personally.

But since you took it upon yourself to get bold with me I shot back and put you down. I *never* said I had *ANY* of that equipment. But that's not to say I haven't played with such stuff. I know what good stuff sounds like.

For the record I'm married with 1 child. I personally own the HD570 set which is an $80 set of headphones. So see I'm on a budget too! I also have those super cool PC155 headphones which sound great in USB mode. And nope didn't pay for those either. Nor would I based on your expert post. I would pay $200 for the HD580's but I'm still saving. Remember I got that wife and kid like you. Back to the subject?

The Subject (which there are now 4+)
1. The USB set is a stupid amount of money but it DOES make for better recording.
2. Sure $35 dollar headphones sound great to anyone who hasn't heard better. Can't argue that. More power to ya bud. My $80 HD570 sound "good" too but damn sure not great. I would never say "dang! these $35 cans sound AWESOME! the clarity is excellent" Please. $35, $80, even $100 only sounds "good" if you've never had the pleasure of $200 level cans.
3. Don't try and give me advice. You're a moron and just as immature as I am Mr. I like to put my text in bold.
4. I know the sting of an OWNage hurts so I'll just leave the rest of this post at that.

Your Biggest Fan
-TheMocoMan-

Last edited by TheMocoMan on Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

LOL!!! (damn audiophiles!)

*This thread has been hijacked*