Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DNS Question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:43 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Hey guys - it's been a while. I know I could google it, but knowing the experience of everyone here, I figured you guys could provide more insight. I understand the basics of DNS, but my specific question is why would have after a certain period of time would I have to manually flush the DNS cache on my computer to continue looking at certain sites.

The situation is that I'm in an off campus apartment and have Time Warner Cable. Originally, the rental company for the apartment made it sound like we would have to buy our own router, which made sense. I ended up buying a Cisco/Linksys WRT160n last year, and it worked fine when we set it in the our dorm last year (me and my roommate.) When we moved in, we found that there was a basic Netgear one, but it was really crappy and ended up switching it with the one I bought. The Netgear was giving us issues with actual connection to the internet - we'd all have full signal and not be able to get on any sites.

I ended up switching to Google's DNS service and it's been fine, but why would after a certain period of time would their be issues with certain sites? This also prevented me from accessing the router, but I could if I unplugged it for a a minute and entering in the stock IP number.

Thanks to any information

AJ

Post subject: Re: DNS Question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 pm 

Well I would guess that the IP associated with the url in your DNS cache is not the correct one anymore. And your computer is going to the cache because it's faster than requesting it from an external dns server; however, your computers records dont match up anymore so you can't get to the site. I would think that if it didn't connect using the cached records it would go grab it from the external server.. idk.