Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: new cell phone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey,
I'm looking to buy a new smartphone this christmas, and I'm looking for suggestions.
I currently have a blackberry, and don't want another one.
I have verizon, so I'd like to stick with them if possible (great service). I'd like to make the purchase in the middle of December, so unless there is a really nice phone coming out very soon afterwards, I'd like to buy now rather than wait for something new.

What do you think? I'm willing to switch carriers possibly, (especially if I can save money on plans) but all things being equal I'd like to stick with verizon.
Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: new cell phone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:36 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Samsung Galaxy S. Its called Samsung Fascinate with Verizon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Is Verizon carrying, or planning to carry, any HTC Windows7 phone? Their site doesn't show that OS as an option yet and only HTC w/ Android...which isn't a horrible choice by any means!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

they're getting wp7 next year at some point. i dont know if i want to hold out for it...im tired of getting burned by 1.0 software (even though it seems really nice, there are too many stupid things that need to be fixed first...like no custom ring tones. What the hell is with that?)

I think android might be best so that i get software that has most of the kinks worked out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I agree fully. No S/N #1's on anything. Android has matured in it's short life; so I hear. I didn't jump on it until the EVO and all the rave tells me everything before that just wasn't enough I guess. I'm still impressed with HTC hardware as far as brands go though. Compared to the Samsung used around me, these things have just been pretty powerful. Even the old touch is quick with a bloated Win6.1 OS on it.

I hear great things about Verizon. A lot of friends use them for their personal accounts and Leo Leporte and his guests just gush about their service. I obviously use Sprint and it's been quite a while with them (I think 7 years now if you include that Push-to-talk company they sucked up). They're fine for the most part, but they have some shady billing practices here and there that pretty much takes a class action lawsuit to settle. I'm still having issues with the extra charges for the "extra" stuff needed for the EVO and 4G, but I'm in a non-4G city and don't see the need to pay more. Stuff like that doesn't get settled over the phone. Right now I'm having a fit over my $75 everything plan that looks like $210 to me on my last bill of the contract. But their system/networks work flawlessly and I never have a service problem, so I'm usually sticking with them. I want a phone to call on 1st and that other stuff is just nice.

The GF has been using AT&T and it's just sucked up until the middle of this year. I guess they finally heard all of the bad press they're getting and fixed a few things. Dropped calls aren't common in the city anymore, but just dropped me 3 times a moment ago on a call from Bakersfield (where antenna are mounted on cows, oil rigs, and trailer homes I guess). Last few calls to them has them giving some credits or added minutes for problems that arise, so that's a change for the better a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:15 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

VZ is rolling out LTE in "every nfl city" by the end of the year, so you might want to get one of those phones.

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:24 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...leaves San Diego out >:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:07 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

My daughter has the Motorola Droid & hates it. She said talking on the phone with it sucks because the touch screen keeps hitting her ear.

I'm getting rid of my Blackberry too; Just bought the HTC Ozone on ebay- new in box for $70- it's running Windows Mobile which I miss so much. The Blackberry desktop software sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:01 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I have the Droid (G1) and love it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:53 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

gamerfreak wrote:
Samsung Galaxy S. Its called Samsung Fascinate with Verizon.

This IS a droid phone btw. Probably the best one out right now, and if you want a physical keyboard it has that option.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Does anyone know of any new phones that are going to come out before Christmas?
It looks like 4G won't be on phones til early next year or maybe later. It's limited to laptop air cards I guess?
The only phone I've heard rumored is the HTC HD something (incredible HD maybe?) Is there any word on where I could get info on that? Mostly, where is there a good community to discuss this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Blondie wrote:
My daughter has the Motorola Droid & hates it. She said talking on the phone with it sucks because the touch screen keeps hitting her ear.

Wait, the touchscreen doesn't deactive when you bring the phone up to your ear? That's pretty depressing considering my 3G does that. If it does, then I don't see what the problem is. All smartphones do that. I would love a Galaxy S though... not really a big fan of iOS anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Spartacus wrote:
Blondie wrote:

Wait, the touchscreen doesn't deactive when you bring the phone up to your ear? That's pretty depressing considering my 3G does that. If it does, then I don't see what the problem is. All smartphones do that. I would love a Galaxy S though... not really a big fan of iOS anymore.

Yeah, it should turn off, like any touchscreen phone. Sounds like a proximity sensor problem, and apparently it's not uncommon for the Droid. Might want to get a replacement or get it fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:16 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

My Droid does not have that problem.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:37 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

OCNoob wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
Blondie wrote:

Yeah, it should turn off, like any touchscreen phone. Sounds like a proximity sensor problem, and apparently it's not uncommon for the Droid. Might want to get a replacement or get it fixed.

I'm not sure. Hers is the 1st Droid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

This also belongs in the Roadwarrior Pitstop. WTF is going on here?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:33 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I just bought a nokia n8. I mainly use the phone for browsing, texting, and the camera will be perfect for not needing to carry one. Android still is lacking on multitasking and apps getting purged from memory on close. Palm has nice multitasking but meh phones. Mind you I'm on att and with the n8 I can use a $10 media net data vs $25 a month smartphone data.