Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NAS -vs- WHS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

This is for Michael Brown, Mr Brown HOW can YOU even CONSIDER to compare these? It's Apples and Oranges! NAS (Network Attached Storage) is just a way to save your files, and settings... PERIOD! It is NOT design for any MEDIA related setup. Now if you want to be FAIR let's go with a business class Windows Server such as Windows 2008 Server Edition -vs- WHS and SEE who wins!!! I'm actually surprised that George Jones allowed this story to be presented in the magazine, I can really see all the Editors at any of the Ziff - Davis technology magaazine laughing after they read that. Really now Michael how HARD was it too look and see the dumbness of this article?

Post subject: Re: NAS -vs- WHS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Wrong.

Many NAS boxes designed for home use have a DLNA server built in.

The whole purpose of DLNA is for media serving.

What if you don't like Windows? A great NAS box works great with both Linux and Windows. WHS can work with Linux, but you won't get the full experience, such as scheduled backups.

Not to mention I would trust a NAS box with RAID 5 over WHS' disk expander technology any day of the week.

For the record: I run a Server 2008 R2 Standard system at home as a file server and domain controller.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:36 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

NOT actually correct!! You're even comparing apples and oranges! Let me make this
easy for you to understand. A Server uses an Operating System, WHEREAS a NAS doesn't!
NO matter if it is WHS, or a professional server. NOW Network Attached
Storage doesn't NEED a built-in operating system to operate. It's SOLE purpose
is to backup/restore files. What your talking about, if I have the jist of your arguement
is like having a CD/DVD working like a server. NOT A possibility, it's made for storage - The exact same holds true for a NAS system.

STORAGE: To backup files onto, a way to save and restore files. File Storage
SERVER: Gives the ability to serve up files. Operating System.

Now do you understand?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:32 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Wow. I guess you've never truly looked into a pre-built NAS box.

Prebuilt NAS boxes do have an underlying OS.

Usually this underlying OS is a flavor of Linux, but it is an OS.

Can you do more with the OS? Not really. The same can be said for WHS though. It is a locked down version of Server 2003.

The only advantage of WHS is the available plugins. Then again, if you build your own NAS box there are Linux distros that have plugins available.

WHS will satisfy most people. NAS boxes will satisfy others. Custom built boxes running the OS of your choice? Even better.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:04 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Don't get me wrong. You're not understanding what I am talking about. I have a simple box I built that
has no O/S and connects directly thru my home network to backup, and restore files. It is only IP'd thru it's own self, and I use just the basic Windows Server O/S to do the backups to it. No O/S is installed on it/to it. It uses a simple ROM chip to make it available to the network. Other than that, it is just a box to do my backups on. Same way as how we use to do magnetic tape backups across a network.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Mike_Holli wrote:
No O/S is installed on it/to it. It uses a simple ROM chip to make it available to the network.

It depends on whose definition of OS you go by then:

Quote:
Operating System –noun Computers .
the collection of software that directs a computer's operations, controlling and scheduling the execution of other programs, and managing storage, input/output, and communication resources. Abbreviation: OS

To me if it can control I/O (network, storage controller) then it counts as an OS.

It is an OS in the most simplistic of forms, but it is an OS in my eyes.

Tape drives are an exception, because they're an extension of a system/server. Without a master server feeding data to the tapes the tape drives would just sit there. It just happens to be that that communication occurs over IP these days.

This argument is practically moot since Microsoft just killed off the only thing that made WHS truly useful.

All it will take is a stable Linux build with Windows compatible backup clients, and we'll see WHS replaced.

Me? I'll still run Acronis and backup over the network.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
n0b0dykn0ws

Tape drives are an exception, because they're an extension of a system/server. Without a master server feeding data to the tapes the tape drives would just sit there. n0b0dykn0ws

There you GO, right there!! Only thing that has changed is the media we use for doing our backups with. I use HDDs in a seperate box for backups is the only difference from the days we used magnetic tapes. Heck, you can hook up a WD My Passport device on your Router's IP bridge, and do backup/restore across your personal network. (abeit this particular device is too small to go and do daily backups for my personal network) But it, as my own NAS just connects and is read by my server
and preforms backup duties. BUT I do agree with you to a point. My server is the one to tell my NAS to do it's backups (schedules) and we KNOW the server itself does have an O/S.