Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 15 year subscriber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:07 pm 

I have disc's and magazines dating back in the 90's
I loved to get the new disc's each month to see what new programs was on them.
I still love that to this day.

There is only one Problem
Almost all the disc's I have from the last few months
All include mostly all the same Software. and almost nothing New at all.
What happened to the game section?
I love testing software and new games
I know there is a bunch of new freeware games out there,
It is just a matter of getting someone involved in finding them and
new software as well
I am so tired of seeing the same labels on every disc every month after month after month after month
You get my drift?

I know I am not alone in this.

Post subject: Re: 15 year subscriber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:57 am 

You must be wrong. There isn't anything repetitious about MaxPC. :roll:

If you save your magazines look back through them for say a year then post here how often they have shown us how to build a computer in all it's different guises.

I'm just kidding you are right but be careful they are sensitive around here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:43 pm 

Hmmm

I said I looked forward to the Disc's
tho the magazine's are informative.
I do love the magazine's as well

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:21 pm 

"All include mostly all the same Software. and almost nothing New at all."

I was commenting on their repetition. I guess I was off topic. Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

In days of yore, we had a full-time disk editor. Now we don't.

But I will see what I can do about freshening the disk up a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:40 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Is the disc still necessary?

Maybe I should ask whether that is a question you guys (the editorial staff) revisit on a regular basis.

On the one hand, it may drive sales (?).

On the other, broadband penetration may have reached the point that most people are willing to download software trials rather than have them provided on disc. Yesterday, I downloaded nVidia's latest driver package .. over 100MB .. in a couple of minutes. The contents of a CD would download in less than half an hour for most people. Given that most content is (apparently) recycled month-to-month, is it still an effective vehicle for content?

I stopped buying the magazine on the stands because the price with CD is quite high and I don't need the CD. If the CD were removed and the price dropped, I'd be more likely to make an impulse buy when I see a new mag on the shelf.

Mostly, though, I'm curious to know whether this is something you guys discuss and whether you're willing to share the rationale with us. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:

I stopped buying the magazine on the stands because the price with CD is quite high and I don't need the CD. If the CD were removed and the price dropped, I'd be more likely to make an impulse buy when I see a new mag on the shelf.
. :)

you should buy the sub without the cd then it is about half the cost

and YES the disk is necessary some people don't have broadband yet.
I have several friends that live in rural area's still on dial up B-0 :shock:
You should feel lucky you have broadband,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:15 pm 

Yes Well....hmmmmm

I am on dialup and the disc is repetitive and causes the mag to be overpriced.

As for being lucky to have broadband....well hmmm I can think of things to feel lucky about and internet connection doesn't make the list

Post subject: Mag with disc -vs- without disc
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I can bottomline this for everyone. WITH the disc included you get more pages in the magazine.
those extra pages talk about the software included on the disc. WE the readers of the non disc
enclosed magazine do NOT get the full content of the magazine as the people with the included disc do. Plus..Plus, and I'm not sure if MPC still does it or not, but they use to in some of the disc include the antics of the editors. One of the funniest ones was a prank that Jon Phillips played on
Josh "The littlest intern" (Can't remember Josh's lastname.), and another good one was "A day in the lab with Gordon" it was to myself very interesting to watch an editor go thru the steps of testing
out a new product. Or another time when Kenn Durance was the game editor and scared the heck
out of Jon Phillips. See?? Those little extras made it worth while to get the disc with the magazine.
(They were on the section of the monthly disc called "Extras")

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:16 am 

I find all the mugging that goes on and that they think I want to see it or care one of the mags big distractions...but some people like that I guess

Post subject: Re: Mag with disc -vs- without disc
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Mike_Holli wrote:
I can bottomline this for everyone. WITH the disc included you get more pages in the magazine.
those extra pages talk about the software included on the disc. WE the readers of the non disc
enclosed magazine do NOT get the full content of the magazine as the people with the included disc do.

Err, the only difference between the disc and non-disc versions of the mag is the cover (slight difference) and the disc. The rest of the mag is the same.

But yeah, we're gonna fresh up the disc. Aww yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:46 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I too stopped the disc because it had the same thing over and over again. I stopped for several years, see my buddy's mag, and everything on that disc is not new at all.

I loved it when demos where on there. I bought games based upon what were on that disc, and still play several of them. Please don't give me a copy of Media Monkey, but a demo of Star Craft2 or Open Office. It's been years since normal readers have needed that disc as a counterpart to the mag.

So, how about this: Video. I'd pay more money again for content rather than things you can link me too. What happened in the mag as I read the magazine? Can I have Gordon in video on the podcast?

The best podcast awards have been given out....it's not MPC. It's who we actually want to listen to. MPC wasn't even on the list...change that! TMOS rocks...What can I get in content for my added monetary input? The disc sucks. Sell me on something else please. Invite people (randos) to the MPC labs, work with the people that read your mag. Allow ME to be able to contact you. That's what FB is for right? If not, it's just an ad campaign to latest stories.

Just saying: I have a chatroom, video, and 'casts. I pay out for those far before useless discs. They invited me in, and they made money off it even more than "normal" podcasts. Can I sit by Gordon finally and podcast with him? Can I chat live? Nope...so much more to unleash than I think the company realizes. #1 can't be wrong! We sell hats too...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

nedwards wrote:
Err, the only difference between the disc and non-disc versions of the mag is the cover (slight difference) and the disc. The rest of the mag is the same.

Not true, IT did indeed have extra page(s), relating to the disc content!
JUST as there is slightly more added to the retail version -vs- the non retail version of
the magazine. (mostly ads) 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:01 am 

nedwards wrote:
Mike_Holli wrote:
enclosed magazine do NOT get the full content of the magazine as the people with the included disc do.

Thx Spock !!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:53 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i get the magazine in the mail, but i do not get those software discs you speak of. i know they come packaged with the store bought copies, but if they mention it in the magazine, i will Google it for a download, anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:10 pm 

I've been a subscriber since the second issue of Boot. I don't even remember the last time I've even looked at one of the CD's. I still have every issue and cd. I guess I'm a collector. I am planning on going with the no-cd option if I can figure out how to do it. Love the magazine, but just don't see the need for the CD any longer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm 

omg !! i found an easter egg on the cd from July !! Donkey midget sex...wild !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

mogators wrote:
I've been a subscriber since the second issue of Boot. I don't even remember the last time I've even looked at one of the CD's. I still have every issue and cd. I guess I'm a collector. I am planning on going with the no-cd option if I can figure out how to do it. Love the magazine, but just don't see the need for the CD any longer.

With the cost of broadband it really doesn't make any sense these days to get the CD edition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:58 am 

If they started using dvd, that would be better. Ad some video "how to" clips in there. It would also give us a chance to see our MAX PC buddies in person lol !
Time for MaxPC to get with the times & upgrade !!!! It's all about video nowa days !
Filling up a dvd would be easy especially using HD video...plus it would still give you room to ad the software stuff.
Interviews with venders would also be nice....get Gates on there ! Ask him to buy the MAXPC staff lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

pcnutcase wrote:
If they started using dvd, that would be better. Ad some video "how to" clips in there. It would also give us a chance to see our MAX PC buddies in person lol !
Time for MaxPC to get with the times & upgrade !!!! It's all about video nowa days !
Filling up a dvd would be easy especially using HD video...plus it would still give you room to ad the software stuff.
Interviews with venders would also be nice....get Gates on there ! Ask him to buy the MAXPC staff lunch.

Now THAT is an EXCELLENT suggestion.