Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How does MaxPC measure temps?...Specifically
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:52 pm 

I've posted recently on this question of mine but can't seem to find an answer; maybe an online "letter to the editor" can get me a maxpc rep response.
I was reading the December 2010 issue of MaxPC vol 15. no 12, and came across your review of the CooIIT Vantage A.L.C liquid cooler. I was interested in this specifically because i have an H50 liquid cooler and wanted to compare my temps. I read in the small italics under the results bar that MaxPC used "Intel's internal Lynnfield thermal testing utility at 100-percent load." I have tried to find this utility so i can compare the same test with my temps but can't find the utility anywhere. Where do you get it MaxPC? How do i get a copy?

Second, MaxPC also used HWMonitor to determine actual temps. I downloaded HWMonitor but can't figure out which temps you're reading from. I can see...

SYSTIN
CPUTIN
AUXTIN

and then value, min and max temps for each one of those. I also scroll down and see...

Core 0
Core 1
Core 2
Core 3

And each one of those has a value, min and max temp.

My question for this last part is, which temps are you reading? You only give one temperature for idle and one temperature for 100% burn but i see multiple temps that could be the source data.

In summation, where can i get the Lynnfield testing utility MaxPC uses, and if it's unavailable to me then what's a good replacement utility similar to it; and second, which temperature are you reading in HWMonitor?

I would like to be as close as possible to your tests so that i can compare my results and have a good reference point to my computers cooling ability. Any information would be great!

Post subject: Re: How does MaxPC measure temps?...Specifically
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We can't distribute the Lynnfield testing utility, but we used to use CPU Burn-in, which did a pretty good job. (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Ben ... rnin.shtml)

In HWMonitor I take the individual core readouts after an hour of idling and an hour of running the Lynnfield utility, respectively (after an hour the temps have stabilized) and average them together. So, for example, if after an hour of the Lynnfield utility running at 80% I see core temps of 60, 58, 55, and 57C, the "Burn" temperature there is 57.5C. I do the same thing after an hour of no activity. And that's how the magic happens.

Post subject: Re: How does MaxPC measure temps?...Specifically
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 pm 

Awesome! I appreciate the answer, and the link to the similar utility. Thanks a ton!