Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Who knows the answer to this networking question?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm 

Hi tech gods.

Given:

1. I have an Astak 4 channel DVR sucessfully connected to my LAN (private network 192.168.1.x).

2. My 192.168.1.x private network is connected through a router to my ISP private network (172.20.x.x)

3. My ISP has a NAT server with 1 public IP address (69.x.x.x).

My Goal: to gain the ability to access and manipulate my Astak DVR from a remote host on the world wide web.

Question:IS THIS POSSIBLE?

(I've tried to assign a port # to my DVR, and map this port# to my LAN router, but i could not communicate across the world wide web to my server. Am i correct in assuming this is because the transmission still needs to traverse my ISP private network, which needs some sort of additional port mapping within my ISP's gateway?)

(My client says in the past he has been able to access his TIVO from the world wide web. I would think this would be equally impossible. What gives here?)

I appreciate all input here.

Thank you lords of tech! :!:

-Matt

Post subject: Re: Who knows the answer to this networking question?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

If your router (from the ISP) supports a DMZ mode, you could just drop the machine into there. Basically this allows the device to use the modem's WAN IP (or puts it in front of your NAT firewall)

You don't necessarily need a public IP. You should be able to just open ports and just hit your public IP address. I guess the trick would be figuring which ports it uses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:00 pm 

Anytime your ISP is using a private network of his own, that's a problem. In all likelihood he's maintaining his own firewall and potentially blocking ports upstream, perhaps the same ones you need. Sure, placing your router’s WAN IP in his DMZ would be a solution, but how practical is that if he’s supporting 100’s or 1000’s of other users? The DMZ is only assignable to one private IP address! (maybe he’s using it himself) Even if you convinced him to do this “just for you”, you can still have problems if he’s forwarding the ports you need to his own private network.

Frankly, the right solution is a public IP. As soon as you’re behind someone else’s private network, all bets are off. You now have to negotiate w/ the ISP to deal w/ all the limitations of a private WAN IP. And only you can determine how practical that is. If you’re leeching off some local wifi café, for example, fat chance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Based on what I see in our post your issue is related to using a dynamic IP. You probably need a DNS service such as DSN4ME, there are other free ones, don’t remember the names.
The why is because your ISP most likely assigns you a dynamic IP unless you specify or pay extra for a static. So what this means is that your ISP changes your IP address periodically thus you need a service such as DSN4ME to update your dynamic IP whenever the ISP rolls it.
Basically a service such DSN4ME provides you with a static IP that’s linked to your dynamic IP. DSN4me then auto updates your static IP with the dynamic IP anytime it changes. I used to use this a lot when I hosted a FTP server on my network for my friends.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 am 

The OP and eibgrad are right.

If you don't have a public IP assigned to the external side of your home network, you're SOL for all intents and purposes. At least without your ISP forwarding your needed ports through his LAN to your subnet. But since he's serving lots of customers, that isn't likely. You could try to setup a PC on the LAN with Logmein or some such, which phones home via it's small client app and provides the route from the Internet. That's what Tivo does as well, it establishes the connection from the inside your network to Tivo's servers and they just follow the path back. If your Astak doesn't have similar functionality, then via Logmein (gotomyPC, etc) you could access the PC and jump to the DVR from there.